Chronic Bronchitis

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
the_knick
New Cat Chatter

Chronic Bronchitis

Post by the_knick »

One of my cats has chronic bronchitis which I manage by giving .5ml-1ml (depending on severity) injection of Depomedrol every 2-3 months. Xrays show infection buildup in the lungs. Symptoms include shortness of breath, wheezing, coughs, irritable, aggressive towards the other cats. Im trying to eliminate environmental factors as much as I can, hoping I can find an underlying cause instead of treating the symptoms. Does anyone else have a cat with chronic bronchitis? How do you manage it? Are there any other alternatives to injecting a steroid to manage this condition? Are inhalers only for asthma and not bronchitis? What type of non clay based biodegradeable cat litter do you recommend I use? That is one of the factors I am looking to eliminate first. Could my cat be allergic to my dog? Many questions, much appreciated in advance.

Thanks
vanilla
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Chronic Bronchitis

Post by vanilla »

I've never had a cat with chronic bronchitis so can't really comment. But I do know about allergies! Your cat MAY be allergic to your dog, as your dog can pick up tree and grass pollen. You can help reduce the allergens on your dog by brushing and bathing him weekly. This will help prevent the buildup of allergens throughout your home. Since allergens become airborne when your dog sheds, you'll have to keep up your housekeeping as well. Vacuum and clean your furniture, drapes and carpets on a regular basis. I have the Miele cat and dog vacuum cleaner. It doesn't blow the dust back out the other end and my dust allergies are near to none these days.

Not too sure what kind of household you live in, but you could also eliminate/minimise exposure to cigarette smoke, carpet fresheners, flea powder and sprays like perfume and cleaning products.

A non clay based cat litter you can try is Cat's Best. It's has big granules and not very dusty. http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_ ... best/14001

Good luck in managing and hopefully finding the cause before permanent damage is done.