Cat stood in paint - urgent

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
vic23
VIP Cat Chatter!

Cat stood in paint - urgent

Post by vic23 »

My cat has just ran through emulsion paint which had been slightly watered down - although some came off onto the floor she still has some on her paws, which I can't get off as she won't allow me to. I think the paint is water based (it washes out of everything like carpet) and contains 1,2 benzisothiazol 3 (2H)-one and octhilinone (ISO) It's VOC content is max 15g/l

The manufacturer will not supply the safety data sheet until Monday.

Should I be worried?

I don't want to call an emergency vet out at the weekend unless absolutely necessary.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat stood in paint - urgent

Post by Lilith »

Hi Vic, I'm afraid you need to have another go at washing her paws in plain cold water. Wrap her tightly in a sheet and extract one paw at a time (easier said than done I know) or have you got anyone to help hold her?. And try not to worry too much - cats have stepped in far worse and survived. One of mine once jumped off the stepladder on to a strip of wallpaper that I was pasting, skidded gracefully to the other end and plopped off the table, splat.

She was NOT pleased about getting her paws washed either!

Good luck!
vic23
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by vic23 »

Hi Lilith,
Do you think I should call the vet or just try to wash it off?
Thanks
Vic
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

I don't know if anyone out there thinks differently, but if just paws, I'd persevere with washing, as every wash will dilute the paint. Quite possibly she might try to wash her paws herself and be put off by the taste, and the stuff will just fade off by itself, but I'd definitely have a go at washing. If I remember rightly she's a feisty madam isn't she? You have my sympathies!

If a cat was drenched in paint or even smeared in something really toxic like gloss paint, I'd call the vet and take it in. But there's no harm in ringing the vet up for a bit of advice, even if you don't have to take her in - that's what vets are there for and also if I remember rightly, you're a good customer of theirs :)
vic23
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by vic23 »

Thanks as always Lilith!
I called the vet - she said I could bring her in, but I said what do you recommend and she said monitor her for 1-1.5 hours and if symptoms call back. I gave her the information on the formulation on the tin. It has now dried on her pads and fur - she is getting VERY angry when I try to get it off! I tried with a cotton wool pad and to be honest the paint does dissolve so quickly. I googled one of the ingredients and I think it said Fungicide but the quantity involved must be tiny - it isn't like she licked it from the tin.

Also, I will apologise on this thread for not updating on Daisy's condition for such a long time - I needed time to process the news. In any case, Daisy has been doing fine - her chin healed very well after the cancerous lump was removed and no further symptoms so far...I'm going to take her for a check up in a few weeks for the vet to check it hasn't come back, as she said it could and I couldn't feel it myself last time. Its best to live day by day, week by week I think. I have been in hospital this week myself so was hoping for a quiet paint free cat weekend!
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Ha - sod's law isn't it?

I'm glad to hear Daisy's so much better - she certainly sounds to be getting into scrapes like any normal cat. Hope she continues to progress, and hope you're feeling better too; as someone once told me, hospital's the last place you want to be when you're feeling poorly!

Good luck and hope there are no reactions to the paint ... trust cats eh? :roll:
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

I've just finished decorating the lounge. I had dust sheets over Gracie and Bob for most of yesterday - they weren't going to move for ANYONE!

On the odd occasion when they have come into contact with paint it has been a water based paint and I'm afraid there is nothing for it, you are going to have to get a bowl of warm water, a flannel and a little, mild shampoo. Some paint has acrylic in the mix and the shampoo helps to dissolve it. Then you will need a thick bath towel and nerves of steel. Don't take any cxxp. Wrap her as Lilith said with one paw showing, tuck her under your arm (like bagpipes :lol: ) and wash away. Bound in a towel, most give in and let you work away.

Good luck.
Trish_Kitty
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Trish_Kitty »

How did this end? Did you manage to clean your cat's paws??

My cat once stood in something toxic and it was tough to get her paws cleaned but after a full hour of "anoying" her I finally got her paws to be cleaned as the day she was born.

The key in these situations is not to succumb to your cats meowing and hissing but to make sure her paws are clean.

Although your cat's paws did not get into anything extremely toxic I still believe you did a good job for speaking with your vet
Trish_Kitty
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Trish_Kitty »

Maybe because your color is water soluble this article can help you.. Its about what to do when cat gets its paws in acrylic colors https://janabouc.com/2008/01/21/cat-paw ... tte-karma/
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hey Trish Kitty, that's a brilliant article - olive oil brings off a lot of gunk but I'd clean forgotten, and I'd never thought about using a mild soap/shampoo solution either as Bobbys girl suggests. Even though I'd clean a brush in warm water and detergent after using emulsion ... :oops:

How's Daisy this morning, Vic?
vic23
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by vic23 »

Hi Everyone,
Daisy is fine this morning - up to her usual tricks. There thankfully doesn't appear to be any ill effects - which is good because my nerves are shot to pieces after this week! I think the very small amount of paint left on her paws will have hopefully rubbed off now on my long suffering carpet!!

Always grateful for this forum and responses :)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Thinking of the long term ... My greenhouse's concrete floor still has a trail of Purdy prints across it. We had just poured the floor as the rain started so we covered it with plastic - we all know just how irresistible a sheet of plastic is to a cat. She HAD to investigate and 10 years on the tracks are still there. :roll:
Trish_Kitty
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Trish_Kitty »

Happy to hear that the daisy is doing great :D
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Glad she's ok - hope today has been more peaceful and that goes for the future too :)
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Vic good to read that Daisy's going well & the paint issue is no longer an issue. They do have a habit of putting their paws in places that aren't always suitable. Vivian