4 month old kitten goes wild outside.

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
JayP09
New Cat Chatter

4 month old kitten goes wild outside.

Post by JayP09 »

Hi everyone,
I wanted some advice on my kitten. He's a rescue kitten that was wild and caught by the SPCA. I fostered him then adopted. He's lived with me for a few months now. So I thought he was ready to go outside, he usually wants to but because he was too young I used to shoo him back inside. Now he's of age to go outside when he does go outside I can never catch him. He runs around like it's a game and his pupils go big. He goes underneath the house or my car and I have to lure him back in with food or toys. The reason I watch him is he seems to be unpredictable running around and I'm worried he'll get run over. Why does he display this behaviour?
vanilla
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: 4 month old kitten goes wild outside.

Post by vanilla »

He's stalking you and you're his prey! OMG that sounds like my kitten I let out a few months ago. It was like a scene from Benny Hill!! :lol: :lol:
He would play chase with me too, teasing me by coming close then legging it the minute I went to reach for him! He's calmed down a lot since then as the outdoor excitement is wearing off. He knows that he is allowed out and doesn't bolt for the door every time it is opened. I make sure that he is NOT fed before letting him out so he comes back hungry. He then associates food to his name when you call him back.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

I personally think a 4 month old kitten is too young to be going outside, they don't have enough sense at that age, and a semi-feral kitten needs even longer inside. I assume he has been neutered, vaccinated and microchipped?
mr_frisky
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by mr_frisky »

Mine do that after being cooped up in the house all day. Maybe stay out with him for a while and watch him? You don't have to go to the lengths I do, though, and walk him up to the end of the road (very slowly)!
JayP09
New Cat Chatter

Post by JayP09 »

When I spoke to the vet they said he's okay to go outside but maybe I won't let him for a wee while cos it scares me a little! He's microchipped, desexed, vaccinated and all the rest :)
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

Have you considered having a supervised play session outside just before one of his meal times. If you have or can get one of the long wand toys they can be great to chase around the garden. You can keep an eye on him and tire him out a bit, then use it to entice him back in and give him a treat and his meal.
JayP09
New Cat Chatter

Post by JayP09 »

Great idea Ruth,
Might have to try that as I could lure him inside with his toy. Those toys that you can dangle are great too!
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

I've got one of the old Flying Frenzies, about a 5' rod and 6' string attached, playing in the garden with it always brings back memories of lunging horses in my youth.