Mother in law staying and our eldest wont cat won't eat

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
andy5898
Frequent Cat Chatter

Mother in law staying and our eldest wont cat won't eat

Post by andy5898 »

We have the mother in law staying only until tomorrow (thank god). But our eldest cat won't eat she was fine yesterday morning and today eat her tea. But today nothing she has drank her cat milk but that's it.

Our eldest who is 21 spent 18 years living with the mother in law and we think in not always the happiest times. This is only the second time she has seen the mother in law since she moved away from her over 2 years ago. We think she is stressed by her being her and upset by it (as am I). I've put a feliway diffuser in now so hopefully she might begin to feel a bit better but does this sounds like stress (she just drank a whole bowl of cat milk so things can't be that bad hopefully). As I say though the mother in law goes tomorrow so Im hoping she will feel better come tomorrow.

Any advice please?

Cheers
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Re: Mother in law staying and our eldest wont cat won't eat

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Precious girl. We have a 17 year old who doesn't look that happy when her previous owner's other half comes to visit us. She hadn't exactly had a barrel of laughs with him before she stepped in and she came to live with us. I think you've diagnosed the problem already - she wants MIL to pack her bags asap and if that's happening tomorrow, then I would bet your little girl will be making up for lost time tomorrow. But in the meantime, does she have to be in the same room as MIL? Can you make her a kind of bonding room till she's gone? Or maybe for one day it's not worth it. Make sure she is in close proximity to the Feliway and that she has a good quiet place, preferably her own familiar space, to sleep tonight. Leave her access to plenty of food and water and her litter tray, and give her the confidence that MIL is not going to invade her space tonight. Then all party tomorrow!

Fusses to your girl. Hope my golden oldie is still going strong at 21.
andy5898
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by andy5898 »

She is going strong the vet diagnosed a bit of kidney failure but that hasn't worried her so I think that's caused old age so she is on renal food. I'm off to buy a new feliway fuser as our fuse just snapped (very strange burning smell from it). I will stop via Tesco and get some tuna on the way home for her.

Bloody families!
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Needless to say, of course, if she doesn't perk up after MIL has left a vet visit is in order!
andy5898
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by andy5898 »

I would have taken her this evening to be honest but equally she was right as rain yesterday. Anyway she has just eat 3 slices off ham and drank cat milk so we are a lot happier so I am almost certain touch wood its stress!
andy5898
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by andy5898 »

Today the MIL has gone home thank god. Cuddles is feeling a lot better she has eat 4 mini cans of food today so I think she is feeling a lot happier. Which is a relief as judging by the news today she is one of the oldest cats in the world at 21! lol.
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Yay!! Thank goodness for that!!

So glad that Cuddles is feeling better. What a fabulous age she is. I always think it is often the will to live that helps them along so you have obviously done a great job of looking after her and helping her feel happy over the last few years.

Years ago I once "rescued" a dog from so called friends. He had an extra two years with us and was so very happy. They were on the verge of putting him to sleep when I stepped in to save him. The only time he was unhappy was when they called round to visit!! Which I didn't encourage and thankfully didn't happen very often. I am convinced that it was his new happy state that kept him going for so long.

I'm sure that Cuddles will recover from the shock of having MIL to stay. She was probably dreading being taken back to live with her!! Please give her lots of fusses from me.
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Excellent! That is what we wanted to hear! I hope Cuddles gave MIL the death stare whilst she was with you! Pepsi does that when her previous 'owner' comes round and it always makes me smile.
misspaws
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by misspaws »

I used to go off my food when my MIL came to stay!

Judy