Cat with Ripped Ear

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Podsy
Frequent Cat Chatter

Cat with Ripped Ear

Post by Podsy »

My cat has ripped his ear slightly. The wound doesn't look infected and I have sprayed an antibacterial spray for cats and wounds on it. But looking closely at it I dont see how it will heal together as there is a v shaped chink in his ear now. Should I take him to the vet for stitches? Or just accept that he will always have a v shape in his ear now? (Obviously if it looks like it is starting to get infected then I will take him to the vets). He hates going so I am reluctant to take him, especially if there is nothing the vet can do.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat with Ripped Ear

Post by Janey »

Hi, I would just give the vets a ring and ask them to be sure.
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by MarySkater »

My understanding is that if it is just into the skin, it may heal, although if a piece has actually been taken out, then maybe not. But if it's down to the cartilage, that won't heal. My older cat Rocky has a small v-shaped nick in one ear, only about 2 millimetres deep. I don't know how he did it - he had it when I adopted him. But it doesn't bother either him or me. I think it just makes him look more interesting!

In your place, I'd just let the wound heal by itself, keeping an eye on it as you are doing. But as Janey said, you can ring the vet and ask advice.

You can just see the nick in Rocky's left ear here, with the brown blanket showing behind it.
Rocky ear.JPG
Edited to add: I was told that Rocky and his cat friend were neglected in their previous home - they were given up for adoption when the owner had to go into hospital permanently. So however he hurt his ear, I expect it was just left to heal without vet attention.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

I think ringing for advice would be a good idea and you might even be able to send a photo over to them so they can see how far the rip is. Ears are unfortunately one area of cat anatomy that is liable to get torn, fortunately they are also one area that heals fairly well if you don't mind a cat with slightly ragged looking ears.