Very strong urine

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
LittlePenBigHeart
VIP Cat Chatter!

Very strong urine

Post by LittlePenBigHeart »

So, Gizzy has been a little better the last couple of days about the food, but there was something I forgot to mention in my original post - her urine REALLY stinks. It's a normal smell but the ammonia is so intense we can smell it in other rooms of the house when she's used the litter tray in the lounge. My husband doesn't think it's anything to worry about and that it could be because she's eating predominantly fish at the moment, so we're switching her back to chicken. However, I was wondering if there's any connection between the apparent increase in appetite and the strong urine? It's really quite offensive - I can smell it on her for a good hour after she's been. :|
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Very strong urine

Post by booktigger »

I'd get a sample checked to be on the safe side, it can be an indicator of a UTI
LittlePenBigHeart
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by LittlePenBigHeart »

booktigger wrote:I'd get a sample checked to be on the safe side, it can be an indicator of a UTI
She doesn't have any other symptoms, though? She isn't weeing, or trying to wee more often. But thanks, I didn't think about that. If switching her food doesn't help I'll get her down to the vet.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Sometimes a strong smell is the only symptom, it happened the first time I had a cat with a UTI - I had 3 cats, was hard to figure out which one it was!