Take to the vets or not?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
rstuk1
New Cat Chatter

Take to the vets or not?

Post by rstuk1 »

Hi guys!

This is my first post so please forgive me if i post in the wrong place or something! I'm not normally one to debate whether to take one of my cat boys to the vets, however I truly don't know what to do in this instance. I have two four year old moggies, brothers and one of them, Simba has previously needed catheterization for a Urinary blockage in April this year but since then he's been brilliant. I've recently (about 8 weeks ago) had a major routine change and have been out at work an awful lot, and I used to work at home so I'm not seeing the cats as much. Over the past few days, very infrequently, Simba has been showing minor signs of his previous issue, cleaning his privates alot, going in and out of the litter tray without doing anything, not playing. His appetite remains good. The days in-between however, he's been fine, peeing and number twoing normally sleeping in the sun, playing and being very friendly. He's seemingly very happy and being like this today, after being in and out of the litter tray last night and cleaning himself alot. Today it seems he's been to the toilet in both senses just fine! I really don't know what to do, as taking him to the vets is majorly stressful for him, and it might cause an issue if there isn't any! I'm so sorry to go on, but I'm really torn as what to do.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Take to the vets or not?

Post by Kay »

why not ring your vet first for advice - as you know, urinary blockages in cats, especially males, can be very serious, but given your boy's intermittent symptoms, a change in diet or a supplement could be enough - but I think assuming all is well would be a mistake
exlibris
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by exlibris »

Hi rstuk1 & welcome.

Has his drinking changed? Does his faeces/urine look significantly different? These could be good indicators as to whether it's physical or psychological. Is it possible he wants more attention and he can remember you responding to his previous behaviour got attention?

If your previous routine meant you did a certain activity at a certain time (feeding, letting into garden, etc), then could you get someone to pop into your house to do that during the day? Obviously you couldn't do this continuously, but it would be a way of testing a theory.

If it gets more frequent or gets worse, definitely take him to the vet.
rstuk1
New Cat Chatter

Post by rstuk1 »

Thanks for the reply, it's nice to know there is a place to ask these things and get an informed reply or two! I have rung the vets and they want to see him, however it is worth noting that the vets I use although they are brilliant, they will try to get you to bring your animal in however they can. His drinking seems fine, his urine is normal, and his faeces is a bit dark and a little harder than usual but otherwise normal. Over this weekend, I've amended my hours so that their feeding and play routine can stay the same :)

Thanks in advance for your help.
rstuk1
New Cat Chatter

Post by rstuk1 »

Ah guys I'm so worried about my boy. It's happening again (he's not urinating at all this time! And he's been sick twice and is hiding). What I didn't notice last time was the fact that all this happens when he is treated with Advantage spot on for fleas he hates it being put on and it definitely stresses him out :( what do I do? It's been a really stressful time for him with noisy neighbours and Bonfire night but he gets more stressed going to the vets than anything! Appreciate any advice you have .
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

If he's not urinating at all, vets asap, especially with his history , and stress is a common factor. Good luck
Red wine lady
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Red wine lady »

rstuk1 wrote:Ah guys I'm so worried about my boy. It's happening again (he's not urinating at all this time! And he's been sick twice and is hiding). What I didn't notice last time was the fact that all this happens when he is treated with Advantage spot on for fleas he hates it being put on and it definitely stresses him out :( what do I do? It's been a really stressful time for him with noisy neighbours and Bonfire night but he gets more stressed going to the vets than anything! Appreciate any advice you have .
I had similarly with my cat but my was more behavioural, however if a male cat does not pee if can be very serious...my vet told me to treat that as a emergency (however are you sure he is not peeing somewhere else in the house????) Take him to the vet for an ultrasound asap. For future reference, try Cystophan tablets (I got my from Amazon), they do help with stress (for the cat not you :D )

Good luck
rstuk1
New Cat Chatter

Post by rstuk1 »

He's booked in to the Vet for seven tonight, he's still throwing up and is a tad cold and is getting unresponsive :(
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

I'd take him now, that's a really bad sign. Fingers crossed
Red wine lady
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Red wine lady »

rstuk1 wrote:He's booked in to the Vet for seven tonight, he's still throwing up and is a tad cold and is getting unresponsive :(
Omg...how did you get on?