Broken Jaw Operation

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
glendvd
Frequent Cat Chatter

Broken Jaw Operation

Post by glendvd »

Hi there, my 17 year old cat had his bottom jaw wired together and some teeth removed under anaesthetic last Thursday, so 8 days ago. He had a 2 week antibiotic injection at the time, and is currently on metacam for pain relief once a day.

I'm slightly worried as he is only eating around half a pouch of cat food a day, and showing little to no interest in food throughout the rest of the day. He used to eat around 3-4 pouches a day before the operation. He is also sleeping all day and is probably only awake for a few minutes at a time before crashing out again. Wherever you put him, he'll just fall asleep. Apart from this though, he doesn't show any signs of discomfort or pain with his mouth.

Does anyone know if this is normal, or should we be taking him back to the vets to get him checked out. He's due to go back in a week for a checkup but I'm worried it should be sooner.

Cheers.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Broken Jaw Operation

Post by meriad »

Welcome to CC and sorry to read your boy isn't well.

In all honesty a vet check won't do any harm; it may not be necessary but for peace of mind, why not? When is he due his next post-op visit any way?

How active was your cat before he had the operation; if he's not very mobile now that could well explain his eating less and I suspect he's still quite uncomfortable and therefore happy to sleep whilst he heals. He obviously feel safe enough at home to be relaxed enough to do that and the warmer weather is probably also making him more tired.

As long as he's eating something and drinking then hopefully it won't be much longer before he's feeling much better and back to his usual self.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

I think I would at least call the vet and see what they think, I guess with a wired jaw life must be pretty uncomfortable. Did the vet suggest syringe feeding or mushing his food up, is he able to manage it in it's current form?

I had had a general anaesthetic last year and it took me a week to get over the tiredness and I'm not elderly.
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 9

Post by Lyn from Australia »

I wonder if Metacam makes them tired? I know I get tired when I take everyday paracetamol, let alone anything stronger. I agree, get the vet to check him again, but I suspect that he's uncomfortable and is sleeping more after the stress of his surgery. Poor old chap. Please let us know how he's getting on. Gentle fusses from me.
glendvd
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by glendvd »

He's due back in a week for his post-op check so may just leave it till then and watch him, see how he gets on. To be honest, he's always been a bit lazy since we got him 5 years ago from the rescue place, but he's taken that to new levels since his operation. I was also wondering if the metacam was making him tired and was toying with the idea of giving him the night off it tonight just to see if there's any difference, i was also wondering if that was why he wasn't eating as the vet said metacam can make cats feel a bit sickly. It's not like he's wanting food but then can't physically manage to eat it, he just doesn't even go to his food to even attempt it, and he was always mewing for food all the time previously.

Thanks for the advice so far, very helpful.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

the thing with metacam it should be given with or after food as it can cause an upset tummy otherwise. So if he's not eating but still getting the metacam that may explain the lack of appetite as well.

And just working out the age when you got him - good on you for adopting an oldie. I lost my oldie Molly last year - she managed to get to 21; they're very special

Fusses to your boy
Baggypants
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Baggypants »

To be honest I think I'd pop him along to the vets for a check-up. I know when mine have been under the weather the only way I've been able to tell is because they just want to sleep and don't show much interest in anything else. There might be a slight infection from the operation - or whatever he needed the op for in the first place - but they'll only be able to find out for sure by checking puss' temperature. Cats are very good at hiding pain and discomfort.
Baggypants
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Baggypants »

What's his name by the way? :D
glendvd
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by glendvd »

Yeah I think i'll run him along to the vets in the morning just to be on the safe side.

I only ever give him metacam after he's had his few mouthfuls of food a day but there still may not be enough on his stomach to absorb it i suppose so it's a vicious circle.

I really love the older cats, especially as we've had some nasty experiences with younger ones being killed by going out, with the 2 we adopted at 12 yr old (his brother was put down last november) they didn't want to go out apart from in our enclosed garden for sleeps in the sun. Let's hope he lives till 21 too, i'd be over the moon if he did. And apart from this little episode, the vets did all the tests before they operated and he's still going strong apparently.

He's called moggy (i know very original).

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos ... 9026_n.jpg
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

Moggy is lovely and looks fabulous for his age.

A vet check is always reassuring, even if there's nothing wrong it will put your mind at rest and if there is something going on you can get on top of it. Lip licking can be a sign of a cat feeling nauseous, is he doing that?

Good luck, let us know how you get on.
glendvd
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by glendvd »

No he's not licking his lips. We decided to give him a night off the metacam last night and he's been eating more, purring a lot and his face just looks more like his old self and he's not slept as much. I think the metacam has been making him feel sick. So we may just give him it every other day now.
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 9

Post by Lyn from Australia »

Nice to hear Moggy is brighter. He's certainly a handsome boy and no way does he look anywhere near his age - are you sure he's 17 and not 7? :)
kev1949
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by kev1949 »

My cat got knocked down to weeks ago ( see thread " cat won't eat and now injured" ) and also suffered a broken jaw. Not one on my avatar. He had it wired, but on taking him for check last week, found probably tried to eat a chicken bone scavenged from our rubbish bin and dislocated it. They had to give him a general anapestic and fixed his jaw with a self dissolving glue. Since the first operation, tried to eat but because his jaw was hurting couldn't. Up to now, we have been hand feeding him a pate specially for mouth/jaw injuries. Its called A/D, and can be purchased from a vet. We have to add water water to it so can sucked into a syringe, then squirted into his mouth. The same with water as not lapping it up from his bowl. As for the metacam, yes it makes them drowsy. Its a slow recovery from a broken jaw. What made it worse is that he also lost an eye. Then to cap it all, when putting him into the carrier to take to vet, noticed a small lump on a hind leg. Turned out to have been shot with an air rifle. Pellet taken out. Vet thinks cat may have been running away after being shot and ran straight out into the road. As this happened at 4am, what type of disturbed person is around that time of the morning with an air rifle!!
glendvd
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by glendvd »

kev1949 wrote:My cat got knocked down to weeks ago ( see thread " cat won't eat and now injured" ) and also suffered a broken jaw. Not one on my avatar. He had it wired, but on taking him for check last week, found probably tried to eat a chicken bone scavenged from our rubbish bin and dislocated it. They had to give him a general anapestic and fixed his jaw with a self dissolving glue. Since the first operation, tried to eat but because his jaw was hurting couldn't. Up to now, we have been hand feeding him a pate specially for mouth/jaw injuries. Its called A/D, and can be purchased from a vet. We have to add water water to it so can sucked into a syringe, then squirted into his mouth. The same with water as not lapping it up from his bowl. As for the metacam, yes it makes them drowsy. Its a slow recovery from a broken jaw. What made it worse is that he also lost an eye. Then to cap it all, when putting him into the carrier to take to vet, noticed a small lump on a hind leg. Turned out to have been shot with an air rifle. Pellet taken out. Vet thinks cat may have been running away after being shot and ran straight out into the road. As this happened at 4am, what type of disturbed person is around that time of the morning with an air rifle!!
It sickens me it seriously does. Best not get me started!! Hope he's ok. Ours is basically a house cat thankfully, hate letting them out after losing 2 some years ago to vicious dogs and fast cars. Couldn't do it anymore, too worrying. Thankfully he's been eating really well all weekend and seems a lot more like himself. So let's hope he is 7 and not 17 and we can have plenty years left out of him.
glendvd
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by glendvd »

Unfortunately over the last 24 hours moggy seems to have taken a downward turn, he can't stand up properly, is breathing rather heavy and not eaten in over 24hrs now and also hardly moving. Straight to the vets in the morning but i fear the worse. Just can't understand how a procedure on his mouth nearly 3 weeks ago after seeming to get better and now suddenly this. I'm praying he's just having a bad day and will be better tomorrow, but right now it doesn't look good.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Good luck at the vets in the morning. I don;t have any advice, but fingers crossed they can get to the bottom of it. I wonder if an infection has set in? - hopefully some ABs will sort it.
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

I am sorry to hear this. Everything crossed for your boy today. As Mark says,hopefully ABs will do the trick or maybe a time on a drip to get his system going again.
glendvd
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by glendvd »

Yeah with any luck. Sounds awful but i'm hoping something particular like an infection IS wrong with him so he can be diagnosed and get better. Not just the worst diagnosis.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

Sorry to hear this, lets hope it is an infection that can be treated and quickly cleared up. Keeping everything crossed for Moggy.
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Thinking of you this morning and hoping it's not as bad as you fear. Keep us updated.
glendvd
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by glendvd »

Unfortunately it would appear the anaesthetic used on his mouth operation had weakened his immune system and his heavy breathing was being caused by lots of build up on his lungs and by the end he could hardly breath and was on oxygen. He was put to sleep this morning. His brother was put to sleep 8 months ago but we were warned a couple of weeks in advance as he was ill, this one has come as a huge shock and so has hit us hard. House now feels far too empty. He will leave a massive hole.

Thanks to everyone for their kind words and advice.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

I'm so sorry - there's not a person on here who won't understand that feeling of emptiness, in the home and in the heart

17 is a good age, but that is no consolation, I know, right now
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Sorry Glen.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

That's so sad, so sorry for your loss. RIP little one.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Janey »

I'm so sorry to read this, my thoughts are with you.

God Bless gorgeous boy xx
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

So very sorry to hear this. It seems to hit so hard when you're not prepared. As Kay says we all understand the emptiness. Your lovely boy will live on in your heart.
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

I am so so sorry Glen. We know how your heart is aching now. Your boy is back with his brother. Take very good care of yourselves.
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by KittyWitty »

So sorry Glen :( such a horrible experience!

Was the Metacam oral or injection as I have heard of some cats having a lot of issues with oral Metacam.

At least Moggy is in a better place now xxx
Gillian
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Gillian »

Glen, I've just read your story about Moggy (what a handsome chap) I am so sorry you lost him in the end. big hugs Gillian xx
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

I'm sorry to hear this , RIP little one