Cat suddenly obsessed with the bathroom

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Cat suddenly obsessed with the bathroom

Post by Mrs Kane »

Hey all,

This is an odd post I know. Sof has been obsessed with our main bathroom for the past week. At first, I thought she was just being her usual self and messing around. But she's truly obsessed with it for some reason. So every day (Until we started closing the door yesterday) she's been knocking things over and taking stupid things out of the bathroom and placing them around the apartment. I found the bath plug in her food bowl, a sponge in her bed, and a rubber glove off the shelf in her toy box. Not to mention half a dozen shampoos and soaps sat in the bath every day from her pushing them in off the side.

She does like to play but she's been really skittish lately. Running around and crying to get in the bathroom, whether or not we're in there.

She's had these episodes before but only with rooms she's not allowed in. She went through periods like this when we had the spare room painted and the kitchen retiled but she's always been allowed in the bathroom and until recently wasn't interested in it because she hates water. But now even when I take a shower or wash my hands she isn't perturbed. The sound used to send her running to the bedroom.

So I'm really confused. We haven't done anything to the bathroom at all, she still has the normal water filter bowl to drink out of and hasn't had any peeing problems. She doesn't seem to want to drink water from the tap like some cats do, she just wants to be in the bathroom and wreck stuff.

Any thoughts?

Side note: She's not nesting. She's spayed. She's never nested in the 3 years we've had her.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Cat suddenly obsessed with the bathroom

Post by bobbys girl »

How very odd :? I don't know why she is doing that but part of the behaviour, knocking things off shelves, is familiar.

With the weather getting colder we are shutting the kitchen window at night. As OH is often up during the night it works out OK as he can let Bob and Purdy out (or in!) Bob has discovered that if he makes enough noise we get up and let him out. His method of choice - knocking everything off my dressing table. Because he knows it works, he does it every time he wants something!

Might Sofi just have found a way of getting your attention?
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat suddenly obsessed with the bathroom

Post by Mrs Kane »

I don't know. She's been really weird all week. Just a constant ball of energy and constantly crying and jumping and scratching any surface she can. As I type she's knocked something over and now she's crying in the hallway again. Brb... :|