Adopted kittens had cat flu...

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
FelineGood
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Adopted kittens had cat flu...

Post by FelineGood »

We recently adopted two 16 week old brothers who had cat flu when they were tiny. Apart from corneal damage they are fine.

Because we fell in love with them quickly and although we knew that they would be carriers we didn’t think about them not being able to go into catteries when we take our summer holiday.

Are there any catteries that take on cats that are carriers?
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Adopted kittens had cat flu...

Post by Lilith »

Hi and welcome, and sorry to hear about your problem.

Have you considered the idea of a pet sitter? I thought I might need one once and his charges actually worked out much cheaper than a cattery. (This was 2 years ago and he charged £8 per daily visit. £15 for twice-daily.) Of course it's a big thing to trust a stranger with access to the house and responsibilty for the cats. Or failing that, a friend or neighbour who you could trust? Less stressful for the cats too, to be able to stay in their own house. I understand that stress can cause a re-occurrence of this sort of infection.

All the very best and I do hope that you can get away on holiday and keep your cats cared for and content too. :)
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

Some catteries have isolation pens, especially those who board cats for rescues

Ask around, and speak to your nearest CP branch who might be able to advise you
FelineGood
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by FelineGood »

Thanks so much for the replies,
I will look into pet sitters. I do have a brother nearby but he has a cat of his own so not sure if his cat would be at risk if he came into contact with our cat’s feeding bowls, I’m probably being paranoid though!

There are a few catteries local to us so I can start ringing round now. I’m a bit confused because according to the vaccination records they have been given vaccinations for both strains but the records indicate they both had FHV...
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by Antonio »

Where I live there are pet-sitter associations, they do have websites, so you are able to choose and see any of the member's history and reputation. Some of them may have references from other people who has been or are using their services.

I'm happy with two girls who are part of one of these associations. When I go away for holidays they come over twice a day for 10 euro a day. They stay up to an hour each time, they play with kitty, give medicines if needed, scoop the litter tray, and everything.
The best thing is that they are both veterinary medicine students, so I have peace of mind when I'm away! :D
Sniper1
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 18

Post by Sniper1 »

Why do you say your cats are cat flu carriers? As a viral illness the virus stays in the body of any cat who has cat flu but is kept at bay by the immune system so they are no more carriers than any cat who has ever had cat flu and catteries take cats from owners who for one reason or another have little knowledge of their cats medical history a good cattery should ask have they ever had cat flu you should answer honestly but that should not mean that they refuse to take them if they have proper facilities
LB62
New Cat Chatter

Post by LB62 »

Hi I can see this post was some time ago, I hope you and your kitties are all well. I just wanted to say that if your cat is carrying a cat flu virus and you do decide to hire a cat sitter rather than use a cattery, please let them know as they may be looking after other cats and kittens at the same time and will need to take precautions. They will of course be hand washing between cats anyway, but may need to disinfect equipment, change clothing etc. Of course some people who adopt an adult cat may not even know if their cat has had cat flu in the past. I would be interested to know what cat sitters and those that hire sitters think about this.