Excessive Fluid Build Up in Abdomen

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Ace
New Cat Chatter

Excessive Fluid Build Up in Abdomen

Post by Ace »

Our 3 year old Siberian cat, Lily had always been super active. But after we had returned from a 3 week vacation, we learned from our daughter who was taking care of Lily, that Lily is in severe depression. She has stopped being active including self-grooming, jumping around, eating on her own, etc. Only when she is taken near food, she would eat - but only 1/2 or 1/3 or usual feeding. She was dehydrated, lost significant weight, felt skinny but her belly seemed full.

We took her to the vet yesterday, she had a fever over 103 Fahrenheit (39.5 C). She weighed 6.54 lb (3 kg). They did the blood test and x-ray. Her x-ray showed abnormal bloating and excessive fluids in her abdomen. Her test showed the following out of range values
WBC 23.03 K/uL (Range 5.5 - 19.5)
NEU 19.76 K/uL (2.50 - 12.5)
EOS 1.21 (0.1 - 0.79)
BASO 0.17 (0 - 0.10)
GLU 162 mg/dL (74 - 159)

Following were negative
FeLV Neg
FIV - Neg
HW - Neg

The vet gave her antibiotics and medicine to reduce the fever. We gave her medicine again in the morning to and she was a bit perky. This afternoon she had fever of 104.7 F (40.4 C). Thye gave her injection to reduce fever. They are recommending Ultrasound as a next step. Due to Holiday weekend, we may have to wait after Christmas. In the meantime, we are hoping that the antibiotics would take effect. Lily is still eating less frequently but is a bit more responsive. She is still trying to be alone but would allow us to pat her and would purr.

I was wondering if anyone had any such experience with their cat. If so, please do comment.

Thank you!
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Excessive Fluid Build Up in Abdomen

Post by booktigger »

So sorry she is ill. Unfortunately the first thing that comes to mind is FIP, if they took a sample of the fluid it would give an indication.
Sniper1
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 18

Post by Sniper1 »

I would agree FIP would be top of my list am afraid for fluid build up you describe heart or liver could also be a possibility but not usually with the accompanied fever you mention
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Ace sorry to read your post especially at this time. Like Sniper & Booktigger my initial thought FIP. Earlier this year my young boy Bentley came down very suddenly with a temp 41degrees. Packed cat carrier with ice blocks wrapped in towel & after a sleepless night took him to a Cat Clinic early in the morning. They mooted FIP to be confirmed with bloods... keep us posted & sending you +ve thoughts & fusses to you fur babe.
Ace
New Cat Chatter

Post by Ace »

Many thanks for your replies and sharing your thoughts and experiences. We took her to University of Pennsylvania Veterinary Hospital. They evaluated her and after cursory ultrasound and evaluation of the abdominal fluid, they confirmed that she has FIP. We had brought her home but will be taking her back later today for humane euthanasia as her condition is worsening despite antibiotics and painkillers. it has been very hard to see her suffering...
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

I'm so sorry to hear this, such a truly awful condition but she is lucky to have good owners who won't let her suffer
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Ace so sorry it’s such an insidious condition & alas we’re hearing more of it these days. Apparently it a flu mutant gene. If you need any support post whatever & whenever. Others will also be thinking of you at this time. Vivian
Ace
New Cat Chatter

Post by Ace »

Thank you! Really appreciate all the support!