Squamous Cell Carcinoma on nose

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Squamous Cell Carcinoma on nose

Post by Grace56 »

Hello everyone,
I haven’t been on the forums for a while and I’m sorry for that. I’ve had so many issues to deal with in the past year.

As some of you remember, I adopted Dave, a stray cat from Ipswich in 2014 and brought him home on the train.
He’s been such a Godsend and so affectionate with me. I love him dearly.

Unfortunately, he was diagnosed with SCC on his nose last month. He was seen and had a needle biopsy last September and they said the chances of it being malignant were slim. So I was happy but kept my eye on it.

But it kept scabbing over but not healing as it should. So back to the vet and a veterinarian dermatologist took swabs and diagnosed SCC with a poor prognosis.

He had cryosurgery on the scabbed lesion before Xmas and he is still eating, going out and washing etc but he does seem anxious sometimes.

I don’t want to have him PTS until I have explored every alternative for him as in every other respect, he looks fine. Glossy coat, bright eyes etc.

What would you do. I’m quite depressed with all this and I do have mental health issues. I’ve cried rivers over Xmas but when he has a good day, I’m fine.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Squamous Cell Carcinoma on nose

Post by booktigger »

I'm so sorry to hear this, the nose has the worst prognosis for SCC, but it sounds like it isn't affecting his quality of life at the moment, which is the prority.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hey Grace! Been wondering for months how you and Dave were going on, so very sad to hear that it's SC :( I don't know the first thing about this but hope the lad manages to live with it comfortably for a good long while to come.

All the very best wishes and big hugs and fusses to you both, and as for the MH problems, you have my full sympathy, me too so I know what you mean - not much fun is it? Love, Lil x
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Grace56 »

Thank you Book Tigger and Lilith. :)
I am so very sad that Dave has got this wretched disease. But I am doing everything to make him as comfortable as possible. I have had him with me for just over 3 years and he’s been such a lovely companion for me and so loving.
It seems so unfair that he has this. I love him so very much.

I dread the day when I must make that terrible decision. :(

But I have gained much comfort already from the people here. Thank God for fellow cat lovers.

Thank you. xxx
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by Antonio »

Hi Grace56,
Reading your story has brought bad memories to my mind.
My cat Lola had a carcinoma IN her nose and she was successfully treated with radiation therapy, but it was probably a different kind od carcinoma, it wasn't an SCC.
My cat had a long course of radiation therapy and she was given a poor prognosis, just 12 months post treatment. As a matter of fact she lived 5 more years after and eventually she died from something else.
I wish you the same good luck ;)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Hi Grace, I am so sorry to hear about Dave. I second what Antonio says, I hope it can be controlled and you and Dave have more precious time together. Fusses to Dave, (hugs) to you.
Sue xx