feeding cats without dogs stealing it!

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

feeding cats without dogs stealing it!

Post by fjm »

I need ideas! I have two cats (Pippin and Tilly) and two dogs (Sophy, a papillon, and Poppy, a toy poodle). The dogs gobble any food they can reach and look round for more, so the cats are fed on a work surface in the utility room where the dogs can't get at their bowls - the cats like to eat a bit at a time, so the food stays out until the next meal. This has worked for years, but as Pippin gets more arthritic he is struggling to get up onto the bench, even with strategically placed laundry baskets, etc, and I am not always around to lift him up when he is hungry. If I put his bowl anywhere easily reached the dogs will get it (Sophy climbs like a cat). I can't use a baby gate as the dogs are the same size as the cats, and can get through the same size gaps. The only idea I have come up with so far is a portable spiral staircase that I can position for Pip, and move when I need to get to the washing machine or the loo. Anyone coped with a similar situation and can offer helpful idea?!
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: feeding cats without dogs stealing it!

Post by booktigger »

Are the cats microchipped?
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

Yes, they are chipped - and I did think about installing a microchip operated cat flap in the cloakroom/utility room door, but it would not be easy to keep the door shut shut. It is one of those spaces that is in constant use, with very little floor space.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

I was thinking more of a microchip feeder than cat flap.
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by MarySkater »

Surefeed microchip cat bowl. It closes when the cat moves away.
http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_ ... ble/479534

Get the optional rear cover as well, so the dogs can't try to get in from the other side when the cat is eating.
https://www.surepetcare.com/en-gb/accessories

This will add up expensive if you need the outfit for both cats, but you could try one to start with, program it to open for Pippin, and leave it on the floor to see if he'll use it comfortably, and if it defeats the dogs. It looks pricey on batteries, needing 4 C cells, but I load mine with Duracell and get around a year's use from a set of batteries.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

Now that is a clever idea - thank you! I am experimenting with alternative positions for his food bowl, but will definitely bear this in mind if the cheapo option doesn't work out. Something similar may work for keeping the dogs out of litter trays when those eventually become necessary - ah, the wonders of modern technology!