I don’t know what to do!

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

I don’t know what to do!

Post by Grace56 »

As most of you know, my Dave has SCC on his nose.
He has had cryosurgery but I don’t know if it’s done much good tbh.

The thing I’m now struggling with is when to have my boy PTS. He’s still eating well, washing and going out to the loo. But I honestly don’t know if he’s in pain or just in discomfort with the wretched thing. I have cried buckets today and I’m so anxious and stressed. God knows what that’s doing to my baby.

We see his dermatologist vet a week tomorrow. I really need to know that Dave is as comfortable as possible until then. Do you think there is anything I could try. I’ve never faced this before and it’s heartbreaking. I want to do ‘something’ to help him.

Bobbies Girl kindly sent me some links about alternative treatments, and I want to try them, but I think I need to discuss with the vet first. Should I, do you think?

I’m sorry to sound like a dithering idiot, but I am worried I’m doing something that will hurt Dave.

Thanks for reading.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: I don’t know what to do!

Post by fjm »

Have you discussed pain relief with your vet? I would ask about meloxicam (Metacam, Loxicom) even if there are not yet clear signs of pain, so that you have something to hand in case of need. I would certainly discuss any alternative or complementary therapies with your vet too, to ensure everything is safe in combination. I am so sorry - I think you will know when the time comes to let him go, but I hope it is not for a while yet.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

You are NOT a dithering idiot.

I'm no expert and I know cats do hide pain, but I can't help feeling that if his nose was bothering him he'd be pawing at it (I've heard cancerous cells can itch too) or shaking his head in discomfort?

If he's eating well and leading as normal a life as possible at the moment, then I think that's something to hold on to. Also I think there isn't a single one of us who would not be in the same state as you in these circumstances. I agree with Fjm re having Metacam or similar in reserve. Hope the vet visit brings some hope too.

Lots of love and hugs, Lil x
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

the only advice I can give in these circumstances is to take some photos of him from somewhere he can't see you, and compare them with how he looks when he is interacting with you

I did this with my Trigger, and eventually saw in the photos a cat who was suddenly old, and tired, and probably in pain, and I knew then it was time
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Well said Lilith! Rest assured Grace no one thinks that. Post whatever & whenever & you’ll be supported. Fusses to Dave.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

I would agree with Lilith too. I think if he’s eating well and not pawing at his face too much he sounds ok at the moment. Usually your vet will have some idea too of what he will need and probably suggest a pain killer if she thinks necessary. I would always discuss alternative treatments before use as your vet will know what is safe and may help. Recently my feral cats all had bad colds, and although my vet wouldn’t discuss much and prescription treatments weren’t an option without seeing them, I suggested an alternative (over the counter) treatment and she made one too (which I could purchase through them without taking them in), and thankfully they recovered well. Wishing your Dave all the best, give him a gently cuddle from me please x
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Grace56 »

Thank you so much everyone. :)

Dave had a bad day yesterday and when he has one, so do I; but I have to try and hide it and suppress the sobs so as not to upset him. :cry: But he had a good sleep curled up with me in bed last night.

I will look for a holistic vet in Norwich as I honestly don’t think our vet is into that. And as you all know, you’ll do anything for your fur baby to help them.

I will get some pain relief for him ASAP. I know he takes Metacam ok in his food. He seems to like it.

He does scratch his nose now and again, and he sniffles and sneezes a bit as well. (Right into my face sometimes :shock: ) Poor baby.

I’ll keep you all posted on his progress.

Love to all and to your fur babies. :) xxx
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

You are certainly NOT a dithering idiot! I can't add anymore to the good advise you have already had. Just know I am thinking about you both and sending all good vibes your way. I know just how much Dave means to you. I hope you are able to find a holistic vet.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

I would consider whether any discomfort he is feeling may be down to the surgery - cryosurgery can be very effective, and he may yet beat the odds. Remember he does not know that he is ill - he may feel a bit uncomfortable, but you are probably suffering far more than he is. I often think we take on all the anxiety, the difficult decision making, and the pain of grieving, in order to enable our beloved companions to live care free, and when the time comes to slip away without pain or fear. Dave is living in the here and now - help him to enjoy every moment, with pain relief and the best diet you can manage and all the games and cuddles he loves best, and try to enjoy them with him, despite the heartbreak. Treasure the good moments - I hope there are still many of them to come.