Cat started peeing on carpet

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
kev1949
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 4

Cat started peeing on carpet

Post by kev1949 »

Out of my four cats, I suspect the culprit? Three years ago, One of them came home 4am with face damaged. Eye hanging out, teeth knocked out, broken jaw. Rushed to emergency out-of-hours vet. Suspected car accident? Kept in for two days then released to my own vet. Was told could also have possible brain damage, but no signs at present?
Since then, he has not been very active. Sometimes just sitting by the kitchen door to garden looking through the catflap. Thinking he wants to go outside, opened door only for him to run inside.
Anyway, on Monday morning found a small poo and skid marks on the dining room table. Have a plastic cover, so easy to clean. Then Tuesday morning and yesterday morning a puddle by the kitchen door and wet doormat. Couldn't have come from anywhere in the kitchen. No water that area, and away from sink. So last night put some kitchen roll paper where the puddles found. This morning soaked through! He is the only cat that sits and stares through the catflap. Although not all the time.
My query is, why all of a sudden started doing this? And the poo on the table? In the past always used the litter tray if didn't want to go outside. He has been acting differently last few months. Sometimes looks at me without recognising me. Fussy with food. Will eat his favorite biscuits sometimes, or ignores them? Got me wondering if perhaps there was some brain damage, and now starting to appear? Esimated age is seven years? Came to me as a stray when I got a six month old cat.

So all I can do for now is monitor him. Not due for annual health check till October.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat started peeing on carpet

Post by Janey »

Hi and welcome. I would book your cat for a check up before October as there is obviously something causing this. Usually it’s either stress, illness or litter related . This link may be helpful:

https://www.catchat.org/index.php/cat-t ... ay-indoors
kev1949
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by kev1949 »

Janey wrote:Hi and welcome. I would book your cat for a check up before October as there is obviously something causing this. Usually it’s either stress, illness or litter related . This link may be helpful:

https://www.catchat.org/index.php/cat-t ... ay-indoors
He sits on a coconut doormat looking through the catflap. This morning was the third consecutive morning found it all wet. In all the time been with us since 2011, this is the first occasion. So looks like suddenly started to think the mat is a tray? Could be one of the others, but have my doubts? So tonight removing the mat and see what happens?

However, many thanks for the link. Some very informative information...
BobbiRobbie
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by BobbiRobbie »

There could be many possible explanations but seeing as he's possibly been in a car accident a few years' ago it may be neurological. Either way it doesn't sound like he's a happy cat at the moment so as Janey said, I would take him for a check-up before October just to be on the safe side.
BobbiRobbie
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by BobbiRobbie »

There could be many possible explanations as covered in the link that Janey provided. Seeing as he was possibly in a car accident a few years' ago it may be necessary to rule out anything neurological. Either way it doesn't sound like he's a happy cat at the moment so as Janey said, I would take him for a check-up before October just to be on the safe side.