Warning about feeding a raw meat diet

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Alice
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Warning about feeding a raw meat diet

Post by Alice »

This is the opening of an article about the risks of feeding raw meat to pets...

Owners are warned they are putting their pet cats and dogs at risk by feeding them raw meat because it may contain deadly bugs
A study finds that raw meat often contains food poisoning bugs
Cats have died after eating raw meat, while greyhounds have been made ill
It is becoming increasingly fashionable to ditch dry and canned pet food

The full article is here....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -pets.html

It's certainly something to think about.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Warning about feeding a raw meat diet

Post by fjm »

This research focuses on the various pathogenic bacteria and parasites found in commercially prepared raw pet food in the Netherlands - parasites are killed by freezing, bacteria are not. It does not actually present any evidence of harm to either pets or people - just says that there is a risk. As anyone handling raw meat (whether for animal or human consumption) should already be aware of the risks involved and the need to practice proper hygiene and avoid cross contamination, I am not sure that this research adds much to the debate...
Sniper1
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 18

Post by Sniper1 »

I dont think the research adds much either especially when compared to the long term health implications of poor quality conventional feeding personally I don't use raw petfood I will only ever use human quality meat to feed raw to my lot its not expensive as you can buy the cheap choices and higher fat meats and they need less than conventional food....although try telling them that lol
filardimarg-9
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by filardimarg-9 »

I was always being told that a raw diet was not advisable for my dog, a long furred GSD, (I know this is a cat forum, I'm just saying) I fed her raw for over 10 years, she had to be PTS age 12.5, a good age for a GSD, she really enjoyed it & most of her life was very healthy, I had to have her pts because of arthritis which I believe was through many years of agility, which she also loved.

Marg.