Blood in urine

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Post Reply
User avatar
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 280
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:13 pm
No. of cats in household: 1

Blood in urine

Post by Jan » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:47 pm

While Blackie's urine results were ok, I was taken aback (and upset) to hear the vet tell me that there was some blood in his urine. As he suffered with 2 bouts of FIC back in 2014 (1 from which he was 24 hours from death), her first question was if I knew what might have stressed him and if I'd noticed him straining and/or peeing outside the litter box which I hadn't.

The only thing I could subsequently think of is that we had to move one of his litter trays just before Xmas to the hall due to a visitor staying over Xmas but Blackie seemed to take this in his stride - often preferring to use it to the other one in the downstairs toilet. We have since kept the tray where we put it without any apparent fuss from Blackie. We've also been tidying up the house due to visits from estate agents.

We also had a 3 day 'fight' earlier this week to get him to give the urine sample and I know this upsets him because we have to leave one tray completely empty and another with non-absorbent litter. On the 2nd day of the 'battle' he came into the bedroom looking very spiteful and as I put my hand down to stroke him, he was ready to give it a good hard bite - fortunately I got my hand out of the way in time. That behaviour is out of character ... usually a paw will come up with claws retracted (except at the vets!). The sample, with blood in it, was given the next night/morning thank goodness.

He's already on a low dose of Metacam for his arthritis and has 1 daily Cystophan which the vet told me to up that 2 daily. Not sure what else I can do otherwise than go round and have a chat to the vet.

User avatar
Red wine lady
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 128
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:34 pm
No. of cats in household: 1
Location: Lake District

Re: Blood in urine

Post by Red wine lady » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:55 pm

I feel your pain x

I have Oscar on 2 x cystophan a day, as I had similar problems. I lowered it once and he got stressed again so I upped it. Maybe try that?

It’s never ending this cat owner marlakwy

alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 801
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:52 pm
No. of cats in household: 1
Location: West Oxfordshire

Re: Blood in urine

Post by alanc » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:55 am

Is it possible he has a stone in his bladder? Symptoms are the same as when I had one 8 years ago!

User avatar
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 280
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:13 pm
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Blood in urine

Post by Jan » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:12 pm

At the vet's suggestion last week, I upped his Cystophan to 2 daily.

I also went round to have a chat with her yesterday. She advised me to go on giving Blackie 2 tablets for the next 10 days. I asked if I should bring him in again but she thought it better to leave it until the Cystophan course is finished when he can get his claws trimmed at the same time.

She is convinced it is stress related given Blackie's history. He has been free of bladder issues for so long that we probably moved things (like his litter tray) over Xmas without thinking what effect it might have on him.

In addition there was the pantomime to try and get a urine sample from him.

There is a much bigger upheaval coming for poor Blackie ... we will shorty be moving home.....

User avatar
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 839
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:44 am
No. of cats in household: 4
Location: Australia

Re: Blood in urine

Post by Mayday21 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:03 pm

Hi Jan it’s an old wives tail but sometimes these adages have some merit - butter on the Paws - they lick it off & this apparently helps them settle. My mum told me to do this when Crystal came to me - she’d had a torrid time - and she never left me. Even when she got out a week after arriving. I was walking round at 2am calling her convinced she’d gone. On opening the front door at 7.30am who should be sitting there, walked in & demanded breakfast. Vivian

HarryAzhar

Re: Blood in urine

Post by HarryAzhar » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:11 pm

Cranberries have been shown to contain a compound that prevents bacteria from adhering to the bladder wall and tissues of the urinary tract, so cranberry juice can be added to the food or drinking water. Always choose a natural, pure juice that is not sweetened. Fresh or dried cranberries can also be added to the diet.

User avatar
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 280
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:13 pm
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Blood in urine

Post by Jan » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:49 pm

Hello Harry ..Based on my own experience of cranberry juice when I had an infection many years ago, I would prefer to give Blackie some D-Mannose added to his water. ( wouldn't give him the other herbal product I used as not sure its ok for cats. He probably wouldn't take it anyway - it tastes foul).

User avatar
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 280
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:13 pm
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Blood in urine

Post by Jan » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:51 pm

Mayday21 wrote:Hi Jan it’s an old wives tail but sometimes these adages have some merit - butter on the Paws - they lick it off & this apparently helps them settle. My mum told me to do this when Crystal came to me - she’d had a torrid time - and she never left me. Even when she got out a week after arriving. I was walking round at 2am calling her convinced she’d gone. On opening the front door at 7.30am who should be sitting there, walked in & demanded breakfast. Vivian
Hello Vivian .... I intend to use that 'old wives' tale when we get back to our own home in Kent. I used it the first time we took him back there after my late mother went into a care home nearly 5 years ago. I didn't give him any breakfast either - not that he noticed as he was so eager to go out. Also at the vet's suggestion I went outdoors with him - and got spat and hissed at for my trouble :roll: He disappeared through a hole in the fence and I spent the next hour worrying whether he'd got lost. About an hour later a little black face looked through the French door window - ears back with a very annoyed expression that we hadn't left the door open for him!

User avatar
Red wine lady
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 128
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:34 pm
No. of cats in household: 1
Location: Lake District

Re: Blood in urine

Post by Red wine lady » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:12 pm

Jan wrote:At the vet's suggestion last week, I upped his Cystophan to 2 daily.

I also went round to have a chat with her yesterday. She advised me to go on giving Blackie 2 tablets for the next 10 days. I asked if I should bring him in again but she thought it better to leave it until the Cystophan course is finished when he can get his claws trimmed at the same time.

She is convinced it is stress related given Blackie's history. He has been free of bladder issues for so long that we probably moved things (like his litter tray) over Xmas without thinking what effect it might have on him.

In addition there was the pantomime to try and get a urine sample from him.

There is a much bigger upheaval coming for poor Blackie ... we will shorty be moving home.....
We moved last week... I have Oscar on 2 x Cystophan and 2 x Kylkene. I asked the vet if that was OK and he said as they are both herbal, no harm to keep him on them as long as it takes. Frankly, I would have him on whiskey too, if I thought it would work (I'm having it to calm myself down).

Upto now (fingers crossed)...Oscar has been OK. Off his wet food for a couple of days, but now seems to be back to his 'fat lad' status.

I also bought Beaphar Calming Cat Treats, which I gave him when we had deliveries etc. Even when the Sky guy came and started drilling the wall, Oscar just looked at him from the window. I would recommend these.

We spent a fortune at the vets with scans etc, the vet said he has some crystals...I honestly believe that it's all about stress with Oscar. Keep that to a minimum and the peeing problems stops. However, this is a tall order with our highly strung fury baby!

User avatar
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 3647
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:00 pm
No. of cats in household: 1
Location: West Yorks

Re: Blood in urine

Post by Lilith » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:40 pm

Red wine lady wrote: Frankly, I would have him on whiskey too, if I thought it would work (I'm having it to calm myself down).
:lol: As the lady said - 'Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker!'

Good luck Blackie and Oscar in your new houses :D

User avatar
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 280
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:13 pm
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Blood in urine

Post by Jan » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:18 pm

Red wine lady wrote:
We moved last week... I have Oscar on 2 x Cystophan and 2 x Kylkene. I asked the vet if that was OK and he said as they are both herbal, no harm to keep him on them as long as it takes. Frankly, I would have him on whiskey too, if I thought it would work (I'm having it to calm myself down).

I also bought Beaphar Calming Cat Treats, which I gave him when we had deliveries etc. Even when the Sky guy came and started drilling the wall, Oscar just looked at him from the window. I would recommend these.
Same regime for Blackie when moving homes - 2 Cystophan + 2 Zyklene + 4ml for 3 days of Metacam before travel and up to 7 days after arrival. I once bought some of those Beaphar Calming treats .... Blackie just spat it out and jumped off the worktop. What I have used with some success is Dorwest Valerian drops. First time was a great success - he was practically asleep by the time we reached the cattery. Only trouble is if he smells the drops before we put him in the basket, he rushes off to hide somewhere.

We will undoubtedly need your good luck wishes, Lilith .... the 2 houses and environment couldn't be more different if we tried. I wish we didn't have to do this .... apart from anything else, Blackie has found himself a girlfriend down here in N Somerset ... a 2 year old female who lives next door but one. Didn't realise that our Blackie was a cradle snatcher ... she's only 2 - he's almost 15!

User avatar
Red wine lady
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 128
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:34 pm
No. of cats in household: 1
Location: Lake District

Re: Blood in urine

Post by Red wine lady » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:51 am

Lilith wrote:
Red wine lady wrote: Frankly, I would have him on whiskey too, if I thought it would work (I'm having it to calm myself down).
:lol: As the lady said - 'Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker!'

Good luck Blackie and Oscar in your new houses :D
We love it, thank you x

User avatar
Red wine lady
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 128
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:34 pm
No. of cats in household: 1
Location: Lake District

Re: Blood in urine

Post by Red wine lady » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:52 am

Jan wrote:
Red wine lady wrote:
We moved last week... I have Oscar on 2 x Cystophan and 2 x Kylkene. I asked the vet if that was OK and he said as they are both herbal, no harm to keep him on them as long as it takes. Frankly, I would have him on whiskey too, if I thought it would work (I'm having it to calm myself down).

I also bought Beaphar Calming Cat Treats, which I gave him when we had deliveries etc. Even when the Sky guy came and started drilling the wall, Oscar just looked at him from the window. I would recommend these.
Same regime for Blackie when moving homes - 2 Cystophan + 2 Zyklene + 4ml for 3 days of Metacam before travel and up to 7 days after arrival. I once bought some of those Beaphar Calming treats .... Blackie just spat it out and jumped off the worktop. What I have used with some success is Dorwest Valerian drops. First time was a great success - he was practically asleep by the time we reached the cattery. Only trouble is if he smells the drops before we put him in the basket, he rushes off to hide somewhere.

We will undoubtedly need your good luck wishes, Lilith .... the 2 houses and environment couldn't be more different if we tried. I wish we didn't have to do this .... apart from anything else, Blackie has found himself a girlfriend down here in N Somerset ... a 2 year old female who lives next door but one. Didn't realise that our Blackie was a cradle snatcher ... she's only 2 - he's almost 15!
What a randy little fur baby he is! :D

User avatar
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 3647
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:00 pm
No. of cats in household: 1
Location: West Yorks

Re: Blood in urine

Post by Lilith » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:29 pm

Ooooh Blackie! Got a Lolita? :shock: :lol:

Reminds me of my old tomcat Finn when Molly arrived. Finny was a retired ginger feral of at least 15 and Moll was a boisterous ginger kitten of perhaps 8 months. The other two girls weren't too impressed with her (though considering her manners that wasn't surprising) but Finn let her jump all over him and when she snuggled up to him ... well. If he'd had a moustache he would have twirled it :lol:

Perhaps Blackie may find another girlfriend near his new house :)

Aww the lovely Oscar! :D So glad you're all settling in nicely :D

Post Reply