Kittens Flea Treatment

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
lazarus
Experienced Cat Chatter

Kittens Flea Treatment

Post by lazarus »

I've searched through the forums for flea treatments for young kittens but probably not putting the correct phrase in the search box.
I have been buying things Toys, litter trays, accessories, etc in preparation for getting two kittens next month around 12 weeks old, most of the flea treatments mentioned here seem to be for what I assume is adult cats. I maybe wrong but I'm guessing they might not be suitable for kittens.

Does anyone have recommendations on what brand of flea treatment to use on kittens or should I wait and see what the vet offers when I take them for their first check?

Kittens are non pedigrees.
HarryAzhar

Re: Kittens Flea Treatment

Post by HarryAzhar »

i recommend you pill nitenpyram (Capstar) as it kills adult fleas on your cat within 30 minutes. It doesn’t have any lasting effects, though. Spinosad (Comfortis) is a fast-acting chewable that starts killing fleas before they lay eggs. It provides a full month of flea protection to help prevent future hatchings.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Most spot on's are suitable for kittens over 2kg, I'd be very surprised if they didn't weigh that much. Most vet brands do have a kitten version
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

I would suggest checking with whomever you are getting the kittens from, there is a good chance that the kittens have already been treated and the people can let you know when it will need doing again and probably suggest what to use.

Alternatively ask at your vets, you might need to make an appointment to have the kittens checked over, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, and any prescribed flea treatment, while more expensive is far better than any you can buy from a pet shop.
Sniper1
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 18

Post by Sniper1 »

I have used ftontline spray under vets advice on kittens still nursing with the mother so very small but wear disposable gloves spray it on the gloves and rub onto the kittens but always would seek vets advice first and be aware of any treatment already given personally if they are flea free and obviously will be kept indoors as so young I wouldn't be putting anything on them unnecessarily
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi agree with others re advice from vets & the person from whom you’re getting the kittens. FYI Little Paws Kitten Rescue over here uses Advantage for kittens.
lazarus
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by lazarus »

Thanks for replying all, I'll wait and see see what vet advises before purchasing any flea treatment, toll on 4 weeks .
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by Antonio »

My vet adviced me on Stronghold PLUS kitten (<2.5 kg).
Make sure it is PLUS. It kills nearly everything, inside and outside the cat.
KatiePfeifer
New Cat Chatter

Post by KatiePfeifer »

I have always provided flea treatments for my cat since they get outside and inside multiple times per day. I use a monthly flea preventative that does not cause any negative reactions with my cat. I also treat my yard and indoor carpeting by using an environmentally friendly treatment that keeps the fleas away from my cat. This has worked well for over the years. If in case of any issue I immediately contacted our environmentally sensible experts, who came over and spread natural pesticides in the garage and cat beds.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Advertising link removed