Coronavirus - Does shedding ever stop?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Funksoulbear
New Cat Chatter

Coronavirus - Does shedding ever stop?

Post by Funksoulbear »

I have a 5 year old cat which tested positive for Coronavirus just before his 1st birthday. He was quite unwell for about a year and was originally suspected of having FIP. After a year of treatment on steroids he was taken off all medication and has been well without any symptoms for the past 3 years.

I wanted to know how long 'shedding' lasts, or indeed if it ever stops? Is this something I can have tested?
Many thanks for any advice anyone can provide.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Coronavirus - Does shedding ever stop?

Post by Kay »

all I can tell you is that I had two 5 month old cats who got the Coronavirus - one went on to develop FIP, and had to be euthanized, but the other got over it and lived another 13 years, with no recurrence

I was advised by the Bristol Veterinary Hospital, who treated poor Boysie, that I should not introduce another cat for a year, if that is your concern - in fact I took in a homeless kitten only three months later and she never got the Coronavirus
Funksoulbear
New Cat Chatter

Post by Funksoulbear »

Kay wrote:all I can tell you is that I had two 5 month old cats who got the Coronavirus - one went on to develop FIP, and had to be euthanized, but the other got over it and lived another 13 years, with no recurrence

I was advised by the Bristol Veterinary Hospital, who treated poor Boysie, that I should not introduce another cat for a year, if that is your concern - in fact I took in a homeless kitten only three months later and she never got the Coronavirus

Thank you Kay for your reply. Unfortunately I am forced to re-home my cat and my concern is about what happens next in his life and making sure I give the new owner the fullest information I can possibly give.
Sniper1
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 18

Post by Sniper1 »

Coronavirus as a virus stays in the body once contracted and is kept in check by the cats immune system and can come to life at any time the cat is under stress from other illness , life changes etc coronavirus is very common most cats have it in their bodies from contact with other cats and the environment and it does no harm coronavirus is NOT FIP cats develop FIP due to a poor immune response to coronavirus either simply due to their individual immune system being immature or other factors such as other health conditions prolonged over exposure to coronavirus as in unhygienic / overcrowded conditions can also increase risk of FIP developing the risk of a cat developing FIP from coronavirus decreases considerably after 6 months of age as the immune system matures
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

My only experience was when I was a volunteer for Canterbury Cats Protection. We took in a Siamese cat with a high titre of Coronavirus. Brigid who runs a Siamese rescue agreed to help. She said the cat needed to be kept in s stress-free environment for 6 months with no stress. She later said she rehomed Lulu.