Cat has fleas, but not the kind that bothers humans

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
saren911
New Cat Chatter

Cat has fleas, but not the kind that bothers humans

Post by saren911 »

Hi everyone, a final problem I am having with my cat is she is having flees. They are all over her, she sleeps fine and sometimes doesn't seem be bothered by time, only moderate itching, which surprises me, but they are defiantly there, never jump on me (the fleas) but I would like to know if those shampoos actually work. I live overseas in the woods, and here they have a spray that is full of chemicals and a shampoo as well. She is a 3 month old cat. Thanks
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Cat has fleas, but not the kind that bothers humans

Post by Ruth B »

I can't really comment on the shampoo, I'm in the UK and use a spot on treatment to control fleas and other parasites, however, i would recommend you do find something to treat her with, fleas are a parasite and her health will suffer if they aren't treated.

As for them not coming onto you, cat fleas will occupy a cat out of preference but are normally willing to try any other source of food that they come across. For some reason some humans are far more attractive to them than other. I'm lucky for some reason biting insects don't go for me. I've been places with friends who were getting eaten alive by midges and I was unlucky if I had a couple of bites afterwards.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by fjm »

If she has fleas there will be flea eggs wherever she goes, especially where she sleeps. The eggs will hatch into larvae, which feed and then pupate, and hatch into adult fleas - the cycle takes 3 to 4 weeks in reasonable weather conditions. Then those fleas will bite, lay eggs, and round it goes again. Each female can lay over 2000 eggs - that is a LOT of fleas bouncing round the house! The dusts and shampoos may kill the 5% of adults that are actually on her when you bathe her, but won't do anything about the 95% of eggs, larvae, pupae and fleas around the house. While your cat is there they will probably prefer to feed on her - if she is absent they will go for the next warm body!

If they have got established you need something from your vet that will kill the adults, and also stop them reproducing. It needs to be long lasting (usually repeated monthly) to kill all the newly hatched ones as they jump on and bite. Wash bedding in very hot water and vacuum thoroughly and frequently (putting something in the vacuum bag to kill any fleas in there can be a good idea). You may need to treat the house even so.

If you really do not want to use chemicals then vacuuming, diatomacious earth and constant combing with a fine tooth comb can help reduce the numbers (have a bowl of water with a drop of detergent in it to hand to drown those you find), but you are unlikely to get rid of a major infestation this way.
KatiePfeifer
New Cat Chatter

Post by KatiePfeifer »

If you want to get rid of fleas then you can go through with these methods:

• First of all you should wash your cat to get rid of existing fleas. You can use a mild, lemon-scented dish soap as fleas dislike citrus scents.
    Bathe your cat thoroughly and you can use a flea comb after bathing your cat to get rid of any leftover fleas and eggs.
    For shampoo you can do a quick google search for the best flea shampoo for cats and you will lead up with a whole bunch of results.

If these methods does not work then, you can consult some from professional pest control Antioch experts regarding the flea issues.
Last edited by KatiePfeifer on Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Hi Katie, I'm afraid I must disagree about washing a cat in dishwashing liquid, especially citrus scented; the fleas won't like it, it's true, but the cat will hate it even more and may lick residues of detergent from its fur later which could cause problems. Also it could set up a skin irritation that will be itchier than the fleas. Personally, if you are forced to bath a cat (and it's an ordeal for a cat not accustomed to baths) I'd always use a shampoo marketed as safe for cats.

I know I shouldn't talk, because 40 years ago I did try washing a cat for fleas, in an insecticidal soap used for children with nits. Misguidedly I know. The experience was very traumatic for the cat, and all the damn fleas did was climb up on top of the poor cat's head - and, when the bath was done, the little blighters spat out the bath water and hopped off on their merry way ... fleas are tough customers ... :twisted:
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Ruth B wrote: For some reason some humans are far more attractive to them than other. I'm lucky for some reason biting insects don't go for me. I've been places with friends who were getting eaten alive by midges and I was unlucky if I had a couple of bites afterwards.
Oooh and don't I know it! :x Most of my family love a picnic - of COURSE they do. It's ME that the midges, ticks, wasps, ants, clegs and every other little biting bxxxxxd heads for!!

Please know that there are no fleas that don't bite humans. I used Frontline on my lot a couple of weeks back and have had no bites since. So it must be working! I wish I could say the same for the midges.

Most of our house has wooden floors or tiles. If I am aware of a flea infestation (more than two!) I turn the vacuum up to full and do the skirting boards. Very occasionally, I would use a flea spray around the outside of the room and under the furniture, then shut the cats (and us) out of the room for a few hours. Then fling open the windows and mop the floors.

The only time I ever washed a cat was when Grace (and years later, Bob) fell in the bog. :shock: There is a special sort of black in a bog - very fine, very staining and very hard to shift. A dunk in the bath is the only way. Tepid water, nothing else.