Cat gone wobbly for 30 Seconds then fine!

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
GordRed
Returning Cat Chatter

Cat gone wobbly for 30 Seconds then fine!

Post by GordRed »

Hi,

Not sure if anyone has experienced this before but our cat literally just sneezed and then was unsteady on her feet/dizzy for around 30 seconds. She was on all fours most of the time (she wobbled in a circular motion) although one of her back legs gave way a couple of times. She managed to move up the corridor fairly speedily at the same time though. She gained composure after this but went and sat under the bed for a few mins before coming out and now it is as if nothing has happened. Has anyone experienced this before? I thought that she may have hit her head when she sneezed but can't be sure (she has sneezed fairly frequently from a young age but is a fine and healthy cat). Any advice or similar experiences would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Gordon
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat gone wobbly for 30 Seconds then fine!

Post by Lilith »

Hi and welcome :)

How old is she? My eldest cat sometimes hobbles for a moment, as if her back legs have given way - but normally she's quite athletic for her age (16) and I've started her on green-lipped mussel powder which is excellent for arthritis. I first saw this happen after the youngest cat caused a fracas and Emily leapt skyhigh out of her chair - a similar shock to your girl's sneezing fit maybe. Emmy's just seen the vet for a thorough check too, so they're aware of the onset of arthritis.

Of course, any doubt, do get her checked up on, better to be safe than sorry.

Hope this helps and hope others are along soon with more advice, all the best with her :)
GordRed
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by GordRed »

Thank you for your reply! She's around 8/9 (rescue cat) and is normally active for a cat of that age I would say (although she is indoors and sleeps most of the day :D ). Yes I think it has more to do with the sneezing than like the arthritic problem with your eldest...maybe it is possible she burst a blood vessel? She had an operation around a month and a half ago where she had quite a few teeth removed. She has seemed fine since then, apart from now having the occasional Elvis lip :D but could that somehow be linked?

Thanks again for your advice!

Gordon
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

ear nose and throat are all linked, so it's possible her sneeze upset the balance in her ear for those 30 seconds
GordRed
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by GordRed »

Weirdly, it has just happened again. It was a fairly big sneeze that repeated a few times but she has had these all her life without any of these episodes. This time she definitely didn't hit her head but she was unstable on her feet whilst still being able to move for around 30 seconds again and now is ok, although she's obviously aware thats something has just happened.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

I wonder if she’s got something up her nose irritating her, or something she’s allergic to?
GordRed
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by GordRed »

Well the thing is, her sneezing has been very sporadic (it's the first time Ive seen or heard her sneeze since yesterday). As I mention she has always had sneezing issues with an unusual amount of mucus but she has always been fine and the vets have said after anti biotic treatment in early year that she's perfectly fine just with this anomaly. The irony is, since she had a dental op last month, her sneezing has decreased massively. Is it normal in some cats to have this physical reaction after sneezing?
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

GordRed wrote:Well the thing is, her sneezing has been very sporadic (it's the first time Ive seen or heard her sneeze since yesterday). As I mention she has always had sneezing issues with an unusual amount of mucus but she has always been fine and the vets have said after anti biotic treatment in early year that she's perfectly fine just with this anomaly. The irony is, since she had a dental op last month, her sneezing has decreased massively. Is it normal in some cats to have this physical reaction after sneezing?
Well we have adopted a few cats who have been quite sneezy, and the rescues told us that it’s when they have had cat flu at some point and it’s left them that way. One cat we adopted though who was like this, I do remember the rescue telling us that cats who are like this can get a flare up with stress, e.g. when they were first rehomed to us, and at other times of stress. So I am just wondering whether the stress with her teeth/ around the dental may have set it off with your cat, and when a sneeze is quite forceful it can make you a bit dizzy. I also tried to remove any strong detergents in the house, didn’t use candles or other strong perfumes around the cats, just wondering, especially if your cat’s a house cat something may be irritating her in the environment? I would just ask the vet though if it doesn’t get better.
JayneD
New Cat Chatter

Post by JayneD »

Hi
I know this was posted a long time ago but was wondering how your cat is now?
My cat is 7 and has suffered like this for a few years. The vets could not find anything wrong. The wobbles seem to come on a cycle she can go months without any then has them regularly for a month or so.
Did you ever get to the bottom of the problem
Thanks
GordRed
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by GordRed »

Hi!

I completely forgot I had posted this thread until I got the email notification. In short no, touch wood she hasnt had any episodes like that again. I think this was probably linked in some way to her op and the severe sneezing fit she had. She still has those though, especially in Winter. Has yours had issues with sneezing or nasal problems? No matter how many times they have them its atill very disconcerting to watch!
JayneD
New Cat Chatter

Post by JayneD »

Hi
Sorry only just seen you had responded
I cannot recall any nasal or sneezing problems but will definitely look out for any
Glad all is well with your cat
Thanks again for responding