Covered Litter Trays

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
lazarus
Experienced Cat Chatter

Covered Litter Trays

Post by lazarus »

Bought a Savic Nestor Cat covered Litter Box as the 9 week old kittens are getting bigger, current open litter trays will be too small very soon.

I've placed them inside but they are not too sure on the purpose of the door flap, I think it might scare them a bit, they think they have been locked in :D . I have to open the flap to let them out. Any tips/tricks on getting them to use the door on their own, or is it a case of perseverance and patience?
I put some litter in the new box from their old trays so they recognise their scents.
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Re: Covered Litter Trays

Post by Antonio »

Remove the door for a few days, so that they can get used to the new tray, then fit the door again and see if it works ;)
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Hi, Lazarus, personally I just don't fit the door; doubt if I could train my lot to use one. I may be wrong here, but I feel that the door and filter are just gimmicks to attract the owner, not the cat. But then I'm EVIL about gimmicks and gadgets :evil: :lol:

Sorry for being such a cynic :)
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by MarySkater »

I tried using the door on a covered tray once. The cat I had at the time was just getting used to it, when the door caught her tail, and that put her off that tray completely. So I took the door off, and I haven't used a door on a covered tray since then.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

When I got my first ever covered tray, Molly couldn't work out the door, after 2 days she wee'd on my bed, at which point I took off the door!! Subsequent cats haven't minded them, but I bought a new one on Sat and first thing I did was take the door off. They are supposed to help reduce the smell, as new ones don't seem to have a carbon filter.
lazarus
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by lazarus »

Thanks guys, I've removed the door so now I just need to wait on mother nature calling to see if it will get used before I buy a second one. I've been using catsan clumping litter in the open trays and not noticed any bad smells, we'll see what happens with a enclosed tray