my cat is being bullied by neighbourhood cats

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Michelle
Frequent Cat Chatter

my cat is being bullied by neighbourhood cats

Post by Michelle »

Hello

I've just signed up for the forum this evening after stumbling across it whilst searching the Internet for some advice.

My 8 year old neutered tom is being bullied by other cats in the area. We moved here a few months ago, and he has always been very keen on being outdoors. Theres a house a couple of doors down who appear to have several cats that, in my opinion, don't appear very well cared for in terms of being provided with shelter (we hear them crying to go in at all hours and in all weathers, I've been in touch with the RSPCA but they're not interested since they appear otherwise healthy). One of these cats is a female who I believe has recently had a litter, and I think some of the younger cats are her kittens. She in particular is very aggressive towards my cat, which I can understand since she doesn't get to go indoors very often and no doubt feels obliged to protect her space and her kittens.

The thing is, the other cats seem to be following her lead, and my poor cat doesn't dare go outside these days. He might venture out for a few minutes once every couple of days but he's soon back and meowing to come in, or sometimes we will hear him shouting from underneath the car and when we open the door, the cats scatter that were surrounding him under the car.

I realise that there's not a lot I can do about other people's cats (although if anyone has any advice about how I can adfress the issue of the neighbours not providing shelter for their cats I would appreciate it), but can anyone offer me any advice at all on this? Me and my partner went for a walk at the weekend and our cat followed us. We decided to let him and to avoid main roads since he hasn't been out for a while, and although he barely left our side he seemed to really enjoy it, but he wouldn't have done it without us there.

Any advice greatly appreciated
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: my cat is being bullied by neighbourhood cats

Post by Kay »

the long term permanent answer would be to secure your garden for him, so he doesn't come into contact with other cats

there are several ways of doing this, some expensive but others cheap enough, especially if you have basic DIY skills - if this could be an option for you, ask for advice as several posters have gone down that route
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by MarySkater »

I agree with Kay. My garden is an irregular shape and cat-proofing the whole thing would be difficult. But with fence posts and netting, I constructed (well, paid someone to construct :) ) a 10 ft by 30ft pen for my cats. They can't go further and get lost, other cats can't get at them, and the peace of mind it gives me is well worth the trouble. If you're in a rented house and can't make permanent alterations, you might be able to find some sort of sectional fencing that you could build into a pen, and take down if you move - maybe try googling "chicken coop" and see what you find.
Michelle
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Michelle »

Thankyou, its something we have given some thought to. Our back garden is quite large and surrounded by a very tall fence, and the only route of access is through the house as it backs on to other gardens, but we have never seen another cat on the fence or indeed in the garden, I think the fence is just too high. He does sit and wait to go out in the back quite often, but he still likes to go for a bit of a wander out the front way now and then, and that's where the peoblems occur. I think I'm just going to have to monotor him, maybe go out and walk with him to prevent an ambush!
Red wine lady
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Red wine lady »

Michelle wrote:Thankyou, its something we have given some thought to. Our back garden is quite large and surrounded by a very tall fence, and the only route of access is through the house as it backs on to other gardens, but we have never seen another cat on the fence or indeed in the garden, I think the fence is just too high. He does sit and wait to go out in the back quite often, but he still likes to go for a bit of a wander out the front way now and then, and that's where the peoblems occur. I think I'm just going to have to monotor him, maybe go out and walk with him to prevent an ambush!
Hi

My furry baby was an indoor cat and when we moved home, we took the decision to let him out (he peed in the house a lot). Anyhow he loved the great outside, however a feral full Tom started to come into the garden and Oscar was scared to go out. i started to scatter Oscars used cat litter around the garden to mark the territory, which seemed to do the trick. That and a water pistol may help.

One morning Oscar saw the Tom outside and he started a fight with him!!! Oscar won and chased the Tom away (I was so proud). The feral may be intact but my baby has weight behind him!

However when we had snow...I put a bed, blankets and food for the feral in my utility room (he could access from outside), because no cat should endure that hardship. Now they seem to just spit at each other and go about their business.

Good luck
Michelle
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Michelle »

Thanks everyone. I never thought about spreading his litter, I might give that a try.
Just a bit of an update, the bossy female that's been leading the assault started to approach him the other day. He left the house under my watch, she immediately clocked him and started her way toeards him, he just stood his ground and growled like I've never heard some dogs growl, never mind a cat! And she stopped in her tracks and turned around! Fingers crossed he might establish himself a bit more this summer, we'll see how it goes
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Oh congrats - good chap! :D
Red wine lady
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Red wine lady »

Michelle wrote:Thanks everyone. I never thought about spreading his litter, I might give that a try.
Just a bit of an update, the bossy female that's been leading the assault started to approach him the other day. He left the house under my watch, she immediately clocked him and started her way toeards him, he just stood his ground and growled like I've never heard some dogs growl, never mind a cat! And she stopped in her tracks and turned around! Fingers crossed he might establish himself a bit more this summer, we'll see how it goes
Those pesky bossy females xx