Cat not eating much.

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
CatMom88
Returning Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Cat not eating much.

Post by CatMom88 »

Hello.

I have been having some issues getting my cat to eat. His normally a little piglet but the last few days hasn't been enthusiastic about meals. His not starving himself but not eating enough either.

I can get him to eat some biscuits and treats go down fine. Wet food seems to be a no go though. His also cuddly and playful like normal. His a little sleepier since the bad weather came in but otherwise he seems fine.

I have tried changing his food and heating it up a little. He will kinda peck at it but isn't all that interested. Its so unlike him. Normally he eats a whole meal in one and will still scrounge for treats. I'm getting worried now.

He seems to be going to the toilet normally and I haven't seen/heard him vomit. So I'm really confused.

My cats called Sully. His a black cat and is about 5/7 years old. Not sure as his a rescue cat. He also has FIV, so that also adds to my worry.

Any advice? Or anyone had similar issues?

Thanks in advance.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Cat not eating much.

Post by fjm »

Have you checked his mouth? A broken tooth or sore mouth would make him reluctant to eat. And will he eat soft food, rather than biscuits? I would take him to the vet if you can - sudden changes in behaviour often indicate a health issue, and at the very least the vet provides reassurance.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

Hi and welcome. If it’s just the wet or dry food he’s gone off, then you could say he’s gone off the type of food for some reason. If it’s both it sounds like he’s lost his appetite, could be teeth etc. However, if all seems well otherwise then I wonder if he’s eating elsewhere so he’s not as hungry at yours? My cat will eat lots then have a few days not eating as much, so If it’s just a few days and he’s eating some, then I wouldn’t worry too much, just see how he goes the next couple of days.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

Sorry - just seen you say he has gone off the wet food. If he goes out it could well be he has persuaded someone to feed the poor orphan of the storm - mine are very good at blagging chicken and tuna from the neighbours!
CatMom88
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by CatMom88 »

fjm wrote:Have you checked his mouth? A broken tooth or sore mouth would make him reluctant to eat. And will he eat soft food, rather than biscuits? I would take him to the vet if you can - sudden changes in behaviour often indicate a health issue, and at the very least the vet provides reassurance.
Yeah I think I will. His an indoor cat so he wont be eating elsewhere. I took a peak in his mouth and couldnt see sores, or bad teeth. He seems fine other wise, this is just kinda odd.
CatMom88
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by CatMom88 »

Janey wrote:Hi and welcome. If it’s just the wet or dry food he’s gone off, then you could say he’s gone off the type of food for some reason. If it’s both it sounds like he’s lost his appetite, could be teeth etc. However, if all seems well otherwise then I wonder if he’s eating elsewhere so he’s not as hungry at yours? My cat will eat lots then have a few days not eating as much, so If it’s just a few days and he’s eating some, then I wouldn’t worry too much, just see how he goes the next couple of days.
His an indoor cat due to the FIV and him being a bit scrappy with other cats. I'm gonna treat him to some fish or something tonight, see if that tempts him. He ate a little wet food this morning but still dosnt seem interested in eating. Its just odd for him his normally got such a big appetite. Gonna take him to the vet soon if he dosnt perk up.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

My FIV+ boy, Bob, is quite quiet and not so much 'off' his food as super picky at the moment. I am putting it down to the weather. He is allowed out and loves it, but is hating this cold weather.I

It might be something as simple as that. But if you are worried about him a trip to the vets is called for.
CatMom88
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by CatMom88 »

bobbys girl wrote:My FIV+ boy, Bob, is quite quiet and not so much 'off' his food as super picky at the moment. I am putting it down to the weather. He is allowed out and loves it, but is hating this cold weather.I

It might be something as simple as that. But if you are worried about him a trip to the vets is called for.
Decided to keep mine in as his so prone to getting into fights. Dont want him to pass it on or get poorly. Though I might lead train him at some point.

Yeah I think his picky due to the weather or maybe as I have been decorating. Gave him some tuna/cod stuff and his eaten a good deal of it so I'm less worried now.
CatMom88
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by CatMom88 »

Update

I gave him a little dish of cod/tuna and prawn (arden grange brand). His eaten a fair amount so im less worried than I was. I think he might just be stresssed. The neighbours do have a new cat, weathers bad, I recently decorated and have been poorly myself. So anyone of those might be making him feel a bit eh. Will keep an eye on him and take him to the vet if he dosnt perk up over the weekend.