Opinions on introducing a new cat

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Michelle
Frequent Cat Chatter

Opinions on introducing a new cat

Post by Michelle »

Hello

I'm just looking for opinions on the pros and cons of introducing a new cat, and the best way to do it.

My 9 year old male tabby is a very friendly, tolerant, laid back guy. He was a lone cat till the age of 3 when we rescued him, then he lived with me and my partner and my partners cat, a female siamese. They were never what I would call friends, they would avoid each other, sleep separately, the female used to give him a swipe at feeding time when the food was put down, and he wouldn't retaliate. When my relationship ended, he came to live with me and has been a lone cat again for the past year.

He generally seems very happy and settled (aside from some problems with the neighbours cats), although he has had some bladder problems which the vet suggests could be due to stress (amongst other things). He's been fine for a couple of months now, but it crossed my mind that he might be missing cat company, and maybe a new companion might do him good. The flip side to this is that a new cat might stress him further, so I want to consider this carefully before I do anything.

If we do get a new cat, the most likely option will be the local cat rescue place. I understand that introducing a kitten would be better, but then again, by introducing an adult you have a better idea of the cats personality and whether they will get along.

So, any advice anyone can offer based on their experiences of introducing a new cat, and if you think it's a good idea, any advice on the best way to approach it, would be greatly appreciated
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Opinions on introducing a new cat

Post by Lilith »

Hi, Michelle, I may be completely wrong about this, but personally I feel that with the recent move and the bullying he's suffering it might be too stressful to introduce another cat or even kitten at this stage. As well as his previous relationship with the bossy Siamese - Siamese are lovely, but oh boy are they bossy! Kittens can be bossy too, and an adult cat's true temperament may not be obvious until it leaves the shelter - conditions are often too artificial (though caring of course) for a cat to behave naturally.

I read your other thread and at the moment it sounds as if your house and back garden are his refuge and domain; it might be daunting for him to have to share.

Of course many cats often bring home a friend, and in some cases this may be a cat who needs a home (after double-checking first) but although this may well happen in the future I feel he needs time just now to adjust and find his paws.

Hopefully other people will be along with more advice; all the very best and please let us know how he goes on :)
Last edited by Lilith on Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by MarySkater »

I adopted a pair of 6-year-old cats, long-term friends. Six months later, one had to be pts for cancer. I thought that the survivor, Rocky, would be better for another cat around the place, and a couple of months after his pal died, I brought home a 3-month kitten, Ria. He didn't take to her, and avoided her when she approached him, or hissed at her if she cornered him. She came from a multi-cat household and was very confident, wanting to play with him all the time. (I did try to entertain her myself, but I don't have the stamina of a kitten. :) )

This is a video I made 2 months after Ria arrived, showing the interaction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxbQDhW ... e=youtu.be

Eventually - and it took several months more - Rocky did start to relax around Ria, and even condescended to play with her occasionally, but he's that much older than her, and just not as playful. Ria likes to wash Rocky's head, and sometimes he'll put up with it, although not for long. They've been together now 18 months, and they get on okay. Ria is bigger than Rocky now.

If I had to make the same choice again, I'd keep Rocky as an only cat. He's people-orientated, he likes to sit on my lap, and I think he would be just as happy, or happier, getting all the attention. If for any reason I lost Ria, I wouldn't get another cat. On the other hand, if I lost Rocky, then I think Ria would be the better for a new companion.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

I had a laid-back Russian Blue who tolerated a female kitten I had to rescue from a neighbour, but she adored him and never competed for my attention

but bringing in a third cat, who was a very needy rescue, was a different matter - Tosker always wanted to be next to me, and Trigger allowed himself to be pushed out, which was very sad for both of us

so I agree with the others - I wouldn't risk upsetting your boy, but as Lilith said, if another cat needing a home turns up on your doorstep, as they often do, you would get the chance to see how he reacts - these scenarios are of course much easier in the warmer months, when cats can be outside and not feel they are forced to share the same space
Sniper1
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 18

Post by Sniper1 »

I think one of the main things to consider in your situation is what would you do if you got a new cat and it didn't work out, if you can't genuinely say you would give the cat back to the rescue or rehome it responsibly yourself I would leave well alone as you may end up with two unhappy cats who don't get on at all and your boy doesn't sound as though he needs the hassle to be honest
Michelle
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Michelle »

Hello and thanks everyone, that does help a lot. I think you've cemented a concern that I had in the back of my mind, and I would much rather make sure it's the right thing to do than risk upsetting him. He hasn't had any bladder problems for a couple of months and if it was stress related, a new cat might trigger it off again. The idea came from a couple of articles I read about stress, they suggested that loneliness could be a factor, which got me thinking that he might be missing cat company, but he seems well at the moment so I'm not going to gamble on ot until we can be more sure.

I think we will see how summer goes, and see how he interacts with the neighbourhood cats now that hes not the new guy on the block and take it from there. The comment about considering returning a cat to the rescue home if it didn't work out is a very good point, its easy to say you would, but I'm not sure how easy that would be when faced with a little bundle of fluff and having to physically hand it back.

Your comments about siamese cats made me laugh, that's exactly how she was - bossy! Fortunately Bungle is a laid back cat who will look for a way to just take it on the chin and retreat to a safe distance, but I think on reflection, and on the back of your advice, I'm going to hang fire and reconsider in a few months