Possible tumour

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
tuppencesmum
Frequent Cat Chatter

Possible tumour

Post by tuppencesmum »

Hi guys

My cat Boris who is 19 and who has kidney and thyroid disease, became very unwell over the weekend and was not able to breathe very well. I took him to the vet this morning and they did an ultrasound. There is no problem with his heard but his lungs were full of fluid and there is a suspicious mass in his thorax. They asked me to consider whether to have him put to sleep this afternoon. I discussed it with my partner and we've decided to go for treatment - which involves having his lungs drained and then steroids. I feel very torn about this because I don't want him to suffer at all, but I just can't say goodbye this afternoon! It's too quick and I'd least like to try to see if there's a bit more life for him yet. Am I doing the right thing?
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Possible tumour

Post by Janey »

Hi, so sorry that Boris is poorly. It can be very difficult making decisions about our pets and I couldn’t make one about yours, but I do know that if it were me, I would try to do what I could if there was a chance to help my cat. You can always see how things go the next few days after the treatment, and hopefully all will go well, then at least you will feel that you did your best for him. I really do hope that things go well and you have better news, and give your little love a gentle snuggle from me. Keep in touch.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hi, I'm very sorry to hear about Boris, and you must be in a state of shock, (Hugs)

Only you can know what is the right thing to do, but, I feel the main thing to consider is Boris's quality of life. Would he withstand this procedure and go on to live comfortably for a while? How is he about vet visits? I had a cat who saw his dental visit as a social occasion; I think the nurses spent their time cuddling him; they couldn't believe how friendly he was. Other cats have been terrified, and depressed afterwards.

Or would it be better to let Boris go free of this very elderly and progressively poorly body?

I once had to take a 14 year-old cat in with sudden onset of kidney disease. The vet examined her and said she would recommend euthanasia. Alternatively they could take her in and put her on a drip for a few days. She'd hate that, I said, and the vet said, well, dialysis is really for the owner, not the cat. I let my Jassy go. But that was what was right for her and me, not necessarily right for other owners and cats, under other circumstances.

Sometimes, letting them go is the last loving thing you can do.

But, only you know and you know Boris best. What does the vet say - presumably they are agreeing to do the procedure, which they wouldn't if it was useless.

I hope this reply hasn't distressed you, and that it might have clarified your thoughts a little. No matter when, it is always dreadful to have to say goodbye, even when you know it's inevitable, and I'm so very very sorry. Please let us know how you go on and fusses to Boris, love, Lil x
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Sorry you have found us under such sad circumstances, sadly there isn't a right or wrong answer in this situation, but hopefully this will help you feel you have done everything possible for him. Depending on the relationship with your vet, it can help to ask what they would do if it was their cat
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by Antonio »

Please, do not rush things!

My cat Pallina was found with liquids in her chest and the ultrasound scan found a small mass in her thorax.
The first thought was that she had a lymphoma, my world was going to collapse on me! We drained her and then re-checked her a few weeks later. The fluid was still there and so was the enlarged lymph node.
She has been drained 5 times so far, since September.
On the last two scans the lymph node was gone.

Has your vet tested the fluid that they drained?
My cat was tested with a citology of the fluid (3 times), a citofluorimetry (2 times) and a PARR test.
They all ruled the lymphoma out, so the fluid was of an idiopathic nature.

Pallina was put on prednisolone for a month, and also on diuretics and Fortekor, without much improvement, but so far she is fine even without meds.

So, talk to your vet and see if they ran some kind of test on that fluid.

Best of luck to Boris!
tuppencesmum
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by tuppencesmum »

Thanks for all your thoughtful replies. Boris had his chest drained yesterday but within a couple of hours, it filled up again. However, they gave him a diuretic and he responded to that, but they said he would need to stay in the vets overnight and that I should brace myself for him dying during the night or being worse again in the morning. Luckily, he was a lot better this morning and had eaten some food, so I've got him home. He was given a long-acting steroid injection before we left which they said can be very helpful for some tumours. He is very poorly though - breathing still pretty laboured, especially if he moves at all and he's not eaten anything since he got home (7 hours ago). He goes back for a check on thursday. Antonia - that is a very reassuring account of Paulina's treatment - I do hope Boris shows some improvement over the next day or so. How old is Paulina and did she respond immediately to the treatment? They didn't tell me they'd tested the fluid - I'll ask them about that when I take him back for his check-up. Keep your fingers crossed everyone.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

All paws and tails crossed here and fusses to the old chap, good luck Boris x
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Fingers crossed for him
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Antonio »

tuppencesmum wrote:Antonia - that is a very reassuring account of Paulina's treatment - I do hope Boris shows some improvement over the next day or so. How old is Paulina and did she respond immediately to the treatment? They didn't tell me they'd tested the fluid - I'll ask them about that when I take him back for his check-up. Keep your fingers crossed everyone.
Pallina is nearly 17 yo.
She was diagnosed with this fluid in her chest in August 2016 (she was 16 years and 3 months old) while she was at a facility for the I-131 treatment for her hyperthyroidism.
When we got back home my vets checked her (it was first the week in September) and they confirmed this fluid and drained her the first time. She was checked again 3 weeks later and they drained again. Ten days later (early October) she had a CT scan and the fluid was back in the same amount, so she was drained the third time. She was drained the fourth time in mid November and again four days before Christmas.
She hasn't been drained since, though the last check a month ago confirmed that she still has fluids in her chest. Always in the same amount. The advice was not to drain it anymore unless she gets uncomfortable with it, which she isn't so far.

None of the meds she took has ever helped her.
She was put on two different diuretics, which didn't work apart from worsening her kidney levels.
She was put on prednisolone in case the fluid was coming from an inflammation, but it didn't work either.

So we're currently leaving her on her own, unless she feels bad.

My fingers and tails are still crossed for your Boris!!!
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

Everything crossed here xx
tuppencesmum
Frequent Cat Chatter

Re: update on Boris

Post by tuppencesmum »

Thanks to all you lovely people with your fingers crossed. So far so fantastic! They'd given him a long acting steroid injection before discharging him. He came home on Tuesday morning - he was very sleepy and breathing still not great. Didn't eat anything and God does he look pathetic with fur shaved from both sides (he's really thin to start with!) and a big bandage on his leg from where the canula had gone in for the drip. I honestly thought I would get up on Wednesday morning and have to call it a day. But no! Got up and he was steadier on his feet - much more bright eyed, demanding cuddles, following me around the house and shouting (which he does very loudly). He still wasn't eating so I was feeling a bit - is this a flash in the pan? - but then later in the day he went to his food ball and had some food! Just a morsel but he had some at bed time as well and this morning was actually waiting for breakfast and though he didn't eat his usual amount, he did have more than a mouthful. I'm overjoyed! Hoping that this continues. The vet said that some tumours react very favourably to steroids so I'm guessing this is why his breathing is so much better. He goes for his check up this morning and I'll try and get more info then but I can't tell you how happy I am. Thanks everyone. xxxxxx
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

I am so glad to hear this good news - even a short time together is precious at this stage. Have you tried tempting his appetite with something really special - cooked chicken thigh meat, or a tinned sardine, or some other treat? Chicken works for mine even when they are not inetersted in anything else. And the broth from cooking the chicken encourages them to drink, which is important when they are feeling meh and liable to get dehydrated. I hope he continues to respond well, and you have lots of time for cuddles and games and building good memories.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Aww bless him, he's stood up to it well. Yes, steroids do pull them round pretty fast as a rule; depends on the cat of course; he may need regular backups, but they can be a great help.

I too hope he's got some good times left with you now, please give him a gentle fuss from me x
tuppencesmum
Frequent Cat Chatter

Re: Boris

Post by tuppencesmum »

Hi guys

Boris's rally was a flash in the pan. He stopped eating 3 days ago and I can't get him to eat anything despite trying everything I can to tempt him. He's very lethargic and disappearing in front of me. Every now and then, though, he perks up and seems a bit brighter. I just can't decide whether it's time to say goodbye or not. I am totally heartbroken and am crying all the time. Just can't bear it.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

I'm so very very sorry (again hugs.)

I think you should ring the vet and see what they say; they might have him in again for more steroids, but, as you've found out, these can be a 'quick fix' which doesn't always last.

Do wish you could have more time with him but this might not be the case, I'm so sad for you; it's dreadful when they have to leave you.

Thinking about you both, please let us know how it goes, love, Lil x
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

I am so sorry. Do talk to your vet, and see whether they think more steroids might help, but eventually you will look into his eyes, and let him tell you whether it is time. It is the last and kindest gift we have to give our beloved animals, to take all the grief and pain onto ourselves and let them go free.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

I'm so sorry to hear this, I agree with speaking to the vet, I think ultimately it depends on whether those bright times are enough for him to have a quality of life
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Antonio »

I'm sorry to read this!
It's a matter of how many good days he has and how many bad days he has.
It'll come a time when the bad days will be more and more. When no more bright days will show up, then it is time... this is my opinion.
tuppencesmum
Frequent Cat Chatter

Re: Boris

Post by tuppencesmum »

I had Boris put to sleep this morning. He went back to the vet and they did another ultrasound and found his chest had filled up with fluid again. They said it wasn't kind to put him through draining it again and that given it had filled back up within a few days of the last attempt, it wasn't a good sign. I held him in my arms as they put the injection in and he slipped away very peacefully. Am totally bereft and grief stricken. Having been in this situation before with other cats, I know the pain will lessen with time. Love you forever my gorgeous baby boy. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

:cry:

Hugs.

He will be a young healthy cat again now, wherever he is. And you'll meet him again one day. Love x
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

I'm so sorry to hear this, RIP little one.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

I am so very sorry. What a very long and happy life he had with you, and a peaceful and painless passing at the end. My thoughts are with you - no matter how much we know it is the right thing to do it does not get easier, and however long we have with them it is never long enough.
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Antonio »

I'm sorry for your Boris, you put an end to his suffering.
Now he's healthy and strong again, runs across the green meadows at the Bridge and waits for you to be with him again.
RIP brave Boris, you were much loved, you will be greatly missed :(