Toasted Kittens

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
lazarus
Experienced Cat Chatter

Toasted Kittens

Post by lazarus »

I have a gas fire open coals type, fortunately I have a fireguard otherwise I would have two kittens with burned noses. The pair of them occasionally like to sit inches away from the gas fire staring into it, only the fireguard stops them from touching the hot parts and burning themselves.
Any suggestions on how to get them to keep a distance away from it?

If I removed the guard while the fire is off I'm sure their curiosity would have them climbing over the coals and lots of black paw prints on furnishings :D :D
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Toasted Kittens

Post by Kay »

when I first moved to my little cottage I only had an open coal fire for heating, and my Siamese cat used to sit so close to it that occasionally I would smell singed fur after some sparks flew out and on to her - didn't make her move though
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by MarySkater »

I just decided to play safe and use a guard that would keep them away from it. Since the firebox of my stove is raised up, the cat-high bottom part doesn't get dangerously hot. But I had horrific visions of one of them jumping on to the top to see what the view was like... :shock:
Both on rug.jpg
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Fireguard, perhaps a bigger fireguard ...?

Even a conventional gas fire isn't always safe. Once one of mine (a ginger tom, wouldn't it always be a ginger tom?) liked to warm his bottom at a wall-mounted gas fire, but this time forgot about his tail. It burst into flames and I had to beat it out for him. He wasn't hurt, just a little surprised. The damage was scarcely noticeable, I might add.

This same boy liked to sleep in the bathroom sink.

Cats can be thick!
vanilla
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by vanilla »

These stories are funny! Obviously not at the time it happened for you guys!
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

Not a fire, but an oven.

My Mother used to have a gas oven with a door that opened downwards rather than sideways (I still prefer that design and have one now), she used to rest whatever she was cooking on the door while she checked it, right up until one of the cats reached up and put her paws on the hot door to see what was in the casserole pot. Mum couldn't see any damage but called the vet to check if there was anything she should do or watch out for, apparently the pads on cats paws are incredibly insulating so no harm was done.

Needless to say I always check what's cooking on the cooker top or the work surface rather than risk it happening again, insulated pads or not.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

my Siamese jumped on top of the new stove when I first got it to replace the open fire - she only did it once

my Russian Blue boy used to lie on the slate hearth with his front legs right underneath it, though, and I'm sure he burnt himself occasionally, but I never saw any damage - I think your kittens may well do that too but those higher legs should mean they don't get too hot

and don't they look as if they are in pussy heaven - mine used to love the stove, but I've replaced it now with a far infra-red heater, and they seem very happy to bask in the rays from that too
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

We have a wood burning stove and so far all the cats, including the kittens have not tried to sit on it while it is lit. To be honest, I never thought about that! :shock: :? They all love to spead themselves out in front of the fire, but it's Purdy who lies in the hearth a hairs breadth away and toasts her tummy.

Last night Freddie was sitting right in front of the fire, watching the television, all he needed was a cup of tea and he would look like his daddy! :lol:
lazarus
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by lazarus »

Thanks folks, Funny you mention the cat watching tv Bobbys Girl, Barley likes nothing better than sitting watching the tv, watching his head twitch to the side like he understands whats being said is funny. Should I put CBeebies on for then since their kittens/ :D :D :D
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

lazarus wrote:Thanks folks, Funny you mention the cat watching tv Bobbys Girl, Barley likes nothing better than sitting watching the tv, watching his head twitch to the side like he understands whats being said is funny. Should I put CBeebies on for then since their kittens/ :D :D :D
It is usually Purdy that sits in front of the fire and watches the telly - she likes The Simpsons. I think it may be that with only one good eye, she has to concentrate on what she is looking at and the Simpsons are nice, big blocks of colour. She also watches golf and snooker. The little white ball rolling across he screen fascinates her.

I can see, if this goes on, that there will be fights over the 'telly seat' when the golf at Augusta starts! Perhaps I should get a kitty sofa to put in front of ours, by the fire :roll: :lol: