Worried about my cat

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
polly2
Returning Cat Chatter

Worried about my cat

Post by polly2 »

Hi, I am new here and wish I had a better reason for posting.

My dear cat seems out of sorts. I am so worried about her.

Moggy has had a hard life. She was bought as a tiny kitten by a neighbour. She was initially well looked after but after some weeks, I started to have a visit by a young kitten. I have never been a cat person but I love animals so did fuss her. Over time, I got to know her, my boyfriend (now husband) did too and we became all to aware of how often she was left outside in all weathers. She grew to be a scrawny little thing with wound after wound. We reported to cat protection but nothing came of it. We learned over time how she had given birth to litter after litter and we came to feel more and more sad for her - especially when we learnt the dog had teased her, and she'd fallen down the stairs hurting herself. Finally around 5 years ago she appeared at our door. This was nothing new as we had started to feed her (she was so thin), however on this particular day, she decided our home was the best place to give birth. After seeing the safe arrival of three kittens, we contacted her owners who didn't even know she was pregnant. We contacted the RSPCA who told us that it would be best, if we were willing, to let Moggy stay as at home she had a dog to contend with an numerous Toms. We let her owner know what we were doing and they came to visit now and again. After 3 months, we had rehomed her kittens and returned Moggy home. An hour later, she was at our door. Thankfully two weeks later, her owners saw the light and asked us to adopt her. We did willingly and literally 24 hrs later (as it was a Sunday) we made an appointment at the vets to get her spayed. Less than a week later, she was at the vet to be spayed. Sadly, a phone call later, I learnt she was already pregnant again! I informed the vet of her history and she advised it would be kinder to abort the pregnancy and continue with the spay. She has lived happy with us ever since. She has become a real lap cat - to the point of annoyance. We cant sit for a second without her sitting on our lap, until recently... 48 hrs ago she changed. She seemed scared of us, she hid behind the sofa, she hid in the kitchen and generally looked terrified. I took her to the vet earlier who felt that her tummy was full of gas and indeed as I watched her examine her, when she contracted her tummy, Moggy yowled. She gave her an injection and Moggy picked up. I was so happy. She was all over us again and back to the cat we know and love. Now, she has regressed again. We have the terrified eyes and the fear to leave behind the sofa. The vet couldn't see anything unduly wrong and said if this doesn't work, all she can think is take bloods etc. I don't want to appear fussy, I cant afford to be but I have grown to be a cat person. She has looked after me when my husband was ill and I miss her (even if it has only been a couple of days). Anyone got any words of wisdom?
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Worried about my cat

Post by Lilith »

Hi and welcome :)

Poor little Moggy! I'm so glad she found you.

But this sounds serious. I would take her back to the vet as soon as you can - perhaps a different vet will be on duty and can give another opinion; something's not right. Did the first vet say what sort of injection had been given? It does sound to have relieved her symptoms but now she's obviously in distress again.

I'm so very sorry to hear this and hope you manage to find out what's wrong, all the very very best to her x
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

It does sound as if she is in pain - I would go back to the vets. In the meantime is there anything that could have triggered a gastric upset? A change of food, eating something outside, something on her coat she has licked off? Is she showing signs of constipation, vomitting or diarrhoea? Does she fart? Does she want to eat grass? All worth noting down, together with what she eats each day, to discuss with your vet. If it is trapped wind (horribly painful, as anyone who has ever had it will know), it could be resolved simply by a change of diet or could need further investigation. Given her early life I have to ask whether she has been screened for FIV and FELV - if you are having tests done and she has not been screened, now would be the time.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Hello and welcome to CC. I agree with the others, she sounds like she is in considerable discomfort, if not pain.

She sounds like a tough little nut and I'm sure that, with your help, there is not a lot she can't conquer. Get her back to the vets and please keep in touch with us.
polly2
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by polly2 »

Hi, thanks for the advice. Yes I am still really worried about her. I am sure she was checked for FIV but I don’t recall bloods been taken so this is worth investigating. She is still acting oddly, today I wondered if she was scared of the tv as ventured so far into the room and stopped wide eyed when she noticed it. My hubby doesn’t seem as worried as me but I am sure something is up. I haven’t noticed vomit or loose stools but then husband let her out when I want her to use her litter tray so I can check. She’s eating but has been eating grass. The vet didn’t say what injection it was only it was an antinflammatory. She said this was based on very little only that her tummy felt gassy and she reacted to it been pressed. She was even quiet in the car and she hates travelling! I think if she is no better by Monday, I’ll take her back.
issiandarchie+68
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by issiandarchie+68 »

Hi Polly, some years ago, one of my cats displayed similar symptoms, along with swollen tum although not afraid of telly. I would liken his behaviour to when humans are in pain and just want to hide under the duvet. Anyway, turned out a neighbour had kindly left me a birthday bottle of wine, wrapped in cellophane, tied at neck with a colourful wired ribbon. Hubby had put bottle on dining room table. My wee pet had been chewing at the hanging ribbon, a strand had broken off and became stuck in his teeth, couldn't spit it out so swallowed it. Luckily, I found the chewed ribbon and Vet was able to act quickly, no lasting damage done, can't bear to think what would have happened if passed into bowel. if she is eating grass, it does sound as if there is something hard and irritating in her tum. Does any one on the forum watch Vet on the Hill? He's an irritating sod but I mention because of the Maine Coon with a sore tum, biggest damn fur ball ever removed. It was as if it had swallowed another cat, but now thriving. Painful as it sounds Polly, fingers and toes crossed the problem is easily resolved.

Issi
polly2
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by polly2 »

Now that’s strange! I was cleaning today and found some wrapping ribbon unrolled under the table. I just thought she’d been playing with it. Think I’ll check when I get home and see if it’s been chewed. What did the vet do?
polly2
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by polly2 »

Just got hubby to check offending ribbon as I’m across the road from the vets getting my hair done. Apparently there is no sign of chewing and he’s let her out again! :x
Michelle
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Michelle »

Hello. I don't think I can offer any advice that others haven't already given, but I agree that a sudden change in behaviour is always cause for a vets visit.
Are there any changes to her routine or environment that you can think of, no matter how small? Our boy had a bit of a behavioral episode a while back that we couldn't explain, and it wasn't until a couple of months later that we realised that it coincided with us moving his litter tray. It was kept at the bottom of the attic steps, and we thought he would prefer it in a quieter place rather than where there was quite a bit of passing footfall, so we moved it into the downstairs toilet. It was only when we added a second litter tray on recommendation that cats should have one each plus one, and we put the second one in the original location of the first one, that we saw how much he appreciated it and his mood improved. Things that seem really trivial to us can be a big deal for them.
Whatever it is, I do hope you get to the bottom of it soon
polly2
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by polly2 »

Hi, my little girl seems to have turned the corner. She is still a little afraid of the tv but I’ve been feeding her dreamies in front of it and today she snuck upstairs (something she is NOT allowed to do!). She has even sat in my lap a couple of times. Husband isn’t well so wondering if she’s picking up on it also she’s had two weeks of eating supermarket cat food as funds are tight. This isn’t completely new but I bought her whiskas this week to see if her behaviour changed. She never seems to take issue to Whiskas! Perhaps this is what’s turning her around but she is much more like Moggy, not completely but getting there.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

Ah - a sudden change of diet could certainly do it. If you do need to change her food I would swap gradually, mixing old and new together and watching for any reaction. If her tummy gave a spasm just as she noticed the television she may well have associated the tv with the pain, and become wary of it - and the additional stress of your husband's illness probably ddn't help.

Good to hear that she is feeling more like herself - I hope she continues to improve.
Red wine lady
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Red wine lady »

I can't add anything to the above, however I just wanted to add that she is very lucky to have found you xxxx

Good luck
polly2
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by polly2 »

Hi, I just wanted to say thank you for all you advice. I am pleased to report that my little girl is back to her usual lap cat self! I will never ever moan about her sitting on me again! :lol:
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Aww bless her - so glad to hear - hope she goes on ok now, all the best :)
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

Always happy to hear good news, glad she is feeling better and back to her normal self.
Red wine lady
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Red wine lady »

This proves that cats are the most random creatures on this planet! You have just got to love them x