Cat spraying indoors!

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Cat spraying indoors!

Post by Joanne_ »

First off he is neutured. He also lives with 3 other neutured males. He has sprayed in numerous parts of the house since he moved in. But mainly on the sofa:( we just got a feliway plug in yesterday but today he sprayed again. Any advice please??

Also i thought id do a quick background update on him incase it is relevant.
He started coming to us a year ago as a suspected stray. He would hang in our garden with one of our cats playing together etc. He was fairly skinny so we took pity on him and he would come inside and eat with our cats but we would never let him stay. As it moved closer to winter (October time) we decided it was too cold for him to stay outside so decided he could live with us. Within a few weeks he went missing over night (very unlike him) so on good ole Facebook I said he was missing and within 5 hours someone a few doors from us across the road said it was his cat who was mssing and they had found him and kept him inside... (funny as id never seen any missing posts and if my cat had been missing all that time id have knocked on doors). Anyways he was soon out and back at ours. Everyday id message owner to collect him as owner kept saying how he was a very loved cat. Within a few days owner started ignoring messages and he was basically back living with us and has since with no interestbfeom owner :roll: . Its been since he moved back in his spraying started. We took him to vets who confirmed he was neutured.... now one of our cats doesnt really like him. He doesnt fight him or anything like that but constantly is a pest to him just following him around and being in his face. Even if he is asleep he be hovering over him lol. We do seperate them so he gets peace but we did wondee if this is the main cause and how to deal with it??

Sorry if posts too long but though id include everything. So any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
elastu
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Re: Cat spraying indoors!

Post by elastu »

I suggest you see - https://www.catchat.org/index.php/cat-t ... ay-indoors hopefully there is something on there that you have not tried. I also suggest you clean anything up with a spirit, whiskey, gin, rum, brandy and if that is too painful surgical spirit. Please let us know how you get on.
Red wine lady
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Red wine lady »

I would honestly think about adding Cystophan to all their foods...it just chills them out (I bought mine from Amazon) . Your stray is definitely suffering from anxiety, hence the reason he is sprays. I would also add another litterbox too.

Feliway did not work for us, with the spraying (it was good when we moved house though) I went through this for months and the smell is just awful. It turns out our cat sprayed because he was an indoor cat who felt threatened by cats outside and ended up straying everywhere.

Cystophan calmed him, but did not stop until we moved and turned him into an outdoor cat...nothing since. However he is still on Cystophan because he is a delicate flower and gets stressed easily. A work mate recommended it to me and it was the best advice that I've ever been given.

Good luck xx
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Antonio »

Red wine lady wrote:I would honestly think about adding Cystophan to all their foods...
Isn't Cystophan for recurrent cystitis and for lower tract urinary diseases?
I used to give it to my cat when she developed a recurrent cystitis.
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Antonio »

elastu wrote:I suggest you see - https://www.catchat.org/index.php/cat-t ... ay-indoors hopefully there is something on there that you have not tried. I also suggest you clean anything up with a spirit, whiskey, gin, rum, brandy and if that is too painful surgical spirit. Please let us know how you get on.
I have recently read about enzyme cleaners that promise to delete the urine smell completely.
Sniper1
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 18

Post by Sniper1 »

Hi there are several good odour destroying products you can buy but they won't help stop his spraying and I doubt while hes insecure with his housemates it will ever stop it is also likely that the longer he does it the bigger the possibility the others will also start doing it the only way you might help is by reducing the stress he feels to a level he can cope with and not feel the need to spray but that may be impossible in his current situation
Red wine lady
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Red wine lady »

Antonio wrote:
Red wine lady wrote:I would honestly think about adding Cystophan to all their foods...
Isn't Cystophan for recurrent cystitis and for lower tract urinary diseases?
I used to give it to my cat when she developed a recurrent cystitis.
Yes, Cystophan helps to support glycosaminoglycan (GAG) layer of the bladder. It also contains L-tryptophan which is used in the brain to make serotonin, the happy hormone.

I've mentioned this before, but when we moved Oscar kept licking the bed covers in the early hours (very noisy), we could not understand why. Then we realised that the only thing we had changed was we had stopped Cystophan. We put him on it again and the licking stopped.

A herbal calmer and I would recommend.
hayleyt
New Cat Chatter

Post by hayleyt »

just posted something to another post as I have similar problem - also try Yurelieve - has tryptophan in it too.
Feliway pet remedy valerian - do not work for me.
Someone suggeste feline calm food - not tried it.
Put scratching posts where he pees.. - scratching releases natrual pheromones
Good luck