Ten year old cat pooing outside the litter tray.

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Catfan5
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Ten year old cat pooing outside the litter tray.

Post by Catfan5 »

Beaker’s odd behaviour started a few months ago when he looked as if he was going to use the litter tray, digging around in it, but then he would get out and poo on the floor just outside of it. Then he tries to bury it by scratching the floor. Overnight he and his sister sleep in the kitchen so I double up the number of litter trays to four to cover where he does it. This seemed to do the trick although he doesn’t use the litter tray but waits til he goes out the next morning. But he does it sometimes upstairs out side of the other litter trays. There are quite an assortment of trays, medium, large, covered, uncovered, all kept scooped etc. He also started peeing indoors, some months before, sometimes in the litter tray but usually against walls or furniture. He has six monthly checkups and seems healthy although his poo is a bit loose. I’m at a loss as to what is causing him to do this. We have five other cats and they all get on reasonably well although Beaker prefers his own company and finds a spot on his own to nap and spend his time. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Ten year old cat pooing outside the litter tray.

Post by Lilith »

Hi, he's a bit young, but could it be that he's becoming arthritic? Sometimes crouching in a tray can be uncomfortable for a cat with arthritis and so it gives up the effort, gets out - and something else comes out too!

I used to have a boy with the same problem and wish I'd discovered puppy pads then - nowadays I'd put a pad in front of the tray or wherever the cat runs to shed his load ... job done - in every sense.

Hope more advice arrives soon but hope this helps and do hope you (and he) manage to cope with this, all the best :)
Marla
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Marla »

Have you changed the brand of litter you use? Some cats are really fussy about the type of litter and they often don't like the scented ones.

Also, check Beaker's paw pads and between his toes. One time, Teddy cut his paw on a cat toy but we didn't realise it until we noticed him going beside the litter tray. Probably unlikely due to the length of time this has been going on, but it's worth checking.

Good luck and please do give us an update. It's always helpful to hear how others resolve things!
Catfan5
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Catfan5 »

Thanks for your replies. I don’t think it’s arthritis as he uses the tray to pee, when he’s not spraying. Although when he steps out to poo he doesn’t crouch, he sort of half stands and looks uncomfortable. Puppy pads sound a good idea.
I’ll check his paw pads too just in case. Been using the same litter for a few years, Greenwood’s, very similar to cats best.