Finally had Kala spayed yesterday, we'll see how she recovers now

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Finally had Kala spayed yesterday, we'll see how she recovers now

Post by Joe_Danger »

The surgery went perfectly fine from what the vet said and she was awake and altert but extremely confused yesterday, usually they get back to normal within a day but 24 hours later and I can't say Kala is doing too good but she isn't doing terribly either. She didn't eat anything yesterday, she is VERY problematic when it comes to eating in general, always has been but we did give her water and some wet food with a syringe yesterday and today.

She was very alter in the morning, when a friend of mine came over earlier she came up to her and was acting confused still but could jump up on chairs and stuff, she did slip and fall from a small chair we have but that didn't seem to phase her at the time.

She's been very lethargic the second half of the day today tho, she groomed herself a couple times, her mom groomed her a few times too but she doesn't show interest in food or water unless we feed it to her with a syringe which concerns me.

She doesn't have temperature and her wound seems nice and clean and well stitched together, it's not even swollen, she does seem like she is in more pain now than she was in the morning.

Last night she was restless, just walking around and sniffing everything, now tho she barely moves. I'd like to believe it's simply her recovering and resting as I see no other signs of something being wrong, but who knows.
Each cat seems so different with how they recover from surgery.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Finally had Kala spayed yesterday, we'll see how she recovers now

Post by Ruth B »

Wonderful news that she has had the operation and it went well. Every cat reacts differently to the anesthetic (as does every human) and not eating isn't a problem as long as it is only for a couple of days or so, as long as she is drinking I wouldn't worry too much yet. Its probable that the vets gave her a strong pain med for when she woke up, either a slow release one that will slowly wear off, or have given you some lower dose ones to administer to try and keep her comfortable.

Remember it is a more major surgery for a female than a male and the older the cat the more major it is, she is going to be feeling it for a while. As long as the wound isn't hot to the touch or swelling I'm sure it will heal up fine and at least if she is happy to just rest and take it easy she is less likely to pull her stitches out than one that insisted on trying to jump onto a sideboard the moment she was out of the carrier.

Give her a gentle fuss from me and I'll keep my fingers crossed it all heals up quickly and easily for her.
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by Antonio »

Female cats who return from the surgery show different signs during the recovery.
Some are quite alert and active a few hours later.
Some are crazy as soon as they come back home, do things that look impossible, then sleep for 24h in a row.

Usually they shouldn't eat in the first hours after the surgery, I'd say for the first 12h, and should drink a little water at the time.
Also they shouldn't jump or climb on anything for a few days to reduce the risk of the stitches to get opened. So, the fact that Kala couldn't jump on the chair might be good, and if I were you I'd remove all objects were she could jump onto ;)

All the best to Kala!
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Glad the surgery went well, I've had dozens of females spayed and the older they are, the longer it takes to recover - once I had a 6mo and a 10yo spayed on the same day, there was a massive difference. I personally am always glad when they are more lethargic, less likely to do damage - my very first cat, I tried to remove everything she could jump on, so she decided to pick the 6ft wardrobe instead!
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Janey »

Hi, I agree with others and wouldn’t necessarily expect her to be herself yet, sometimes they recover quickly, sometimes not. I wouldn’t force her to eat either as she may have felt a bit nauseas after the anaesthetic, just as we sometimes do. If she’s no better tomorrow then I’d give the vets a ring. Hope she is back to normal soon.
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joe_Danger »

Thanks!
She won't eat or drink on her own but has no issues accepting water, chicken soup and wet food from a syringe. You know she's always been problematic when it comes to anything food and drink so this works for now.

I'm happy that she is grooming herself, that to me is a sign that she is doing well, no swelling or redness around her incision either. Milla tends to her quite a lot tho, Casper stopped caring once she started moving around on the first day tho now he still comes and checks up on her if she is sleeping somewhere she normally wouldn't.
Today she curled herself up in this small basket thing both Milla and Kala love to sleep in for some reason so that means she is not in as much pain anymore, previously she couldn't do it at all and would only lay stretched out or on her back.

So far things are alright...ish, not perfect but not terrible either so hopefully it'll be fine :)
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Aww, good news and fusses to the lass.

It took my Emily weeks to get back to normal, though her case was a bit different; feral, she'd given birth to 5 kittens and hidden them until Moving Day - and who better to move them to than Auntie Lil? Food there, she told them as she carried them one by one across the street and in through my cellar window, Then, to my relief, she moved in with me and I turned the back bedroom into a nursery. But, debilitated by previous neglect and feeding kittens despite unlimited meals now she was with me 24/7, in my opinion she should never have been spayed the minute the kittens (a bonny lot) had been collected by the CP, whose charge, I suppose officially, she was. I was quite savvy enough not to let her get pregnant again, and by now she was sleeping with me and showed no inclination to go out of the house. I thought she should have a month or two (closely supervised of course) to recuperate, but no.

I don't remember any feeding or drinking problems but I do remember her lying on my bed for weeks and weeks, exhausted. She never moved. Eventually she began to play with a toy mouse. But it took a long time before she was a functioning cat again. She would have been just over a year old when she had her kittens.

They ARE all different, and the effects of anaesthetic and painkillers can take their toll - hope your little girl is back to normal soon - all the very very best :)
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joe_Danger »

That was a great read!

Well, Kala just had her first dry food and she ate quite a bit actually, I think we've made huge progress and she is more or less out of the woods now.

I'm happy my vet timed everything so perfectly so she gets spayed when her chronic respiratory infection thing isn't active and surprisingly enough it didn't even activate even with the surgery.

I don't want to relax just yet, but I feel she is good now :)
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joe_Danger »

Kala is doing great, a little too good tbh as she keeps jumping on tables and stuff and then jumping off which I don't like tho she IS careful.

Milla still keeps tending to her every chance she gets, took this pic earlier
wqewqewqdLR.jpg
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

what a lovely photo of two very photogenic cats
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Definitely peas in a pod! Great pic & glas that Kala’s doing well. Fusses to them all. Vivian
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Pleased to hear she is doing well. I bet you are SO relieved. Give us he lovely lady a fuss from me.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Aww, look at that cross little Persian face ... 'Mo-o-o-THER! Quit fussing, can't you?' Who'd be a Persian mother - all that fur to wash lol.

Mind you, when I was a kitten, it was ME who had to brush my mother's long black hair, AND rub her feet ... but that's another story.

Marvellous photograph and hope Kala's well on the road to recovery :D