Cat won't eat red dry food and farting ?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Cassie5791
Frequent Cat Chatter

Cat won't eat red dry food and farting ?

Post by Cassie5791 »

Hi everyone,
I am a new cat owner and we're really enjoying having Maple in our lives.
She's being a bit picky over food, which I gather is normal in a new home but I had a few questions. First, she seems to refuse to eat the red dry food, but eats the rest. Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Also, she keeps letting really sneaky (and strong) smells out (silent killers!) ! Would this again be down to settling in and different food? She otherwise seems very happy. Should we be concerned?

Thanks in advance
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat won't eat red dry food and farting ?

Post by Lilith »

Hi and welcome - ohhhh the dreaded farts! My eldest cat moved in with a litter of kittens and hadn't been used to a regular diet all her life ... oh boy. (Goodness me, what was that??? It was the cat, the ginger cat!) Get out the gasmask! :shock: :o This is pretty common with a change of home, food, even water, and the stomach will settle down - just hope your stomach's strong enough meanwhile. A plain basic diet's a good idea - richer treats like the nice little gourmet style tins may prolong the agony ... Do you know what she was accustomed to eating before she came to you?

However - red? Is the dried food dyed different colours? I know many kibble-type foods used to be, but if this is the case, I personally wouldn't feed it; I'd switch to a kibble with no artificial colourings as sometimes these can cause an allergy.

Hope Maple is soon sweet smelling again, fusses to her and all the best :)
Cassie5791
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Cassie5791 »

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply! The food isn't red as such, just a reddy brown colour. I'll check the packet as I hadn't thought of colouring.

I think the rescue centre gave her whiskas and felix. Hoping the smells stop soon! She's having a vaccine tomorrow so will just mention it with the vet I guess.

Thanks again
Cassie5791
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Cassie5791 »

Just checked and it says its free from artificial colouring.
She ate it the first few days fine, but now just picks the redder stuff out.

P. S we are giving her wet food too
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Ah, that sounds like most of the dry foods available then. You could try a different brand, good for her teeth but if she insists on wet, then nothing wrong with that.

I reckon it will be down to time - you have my sympathies though - urrggghh, cat farts .... :o :o :lol:

Fusses to her, bless her :D
Red wine lady
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Red wine lady »

Cassie5791 wrote:Hi everyone,
I am a new cat owner and we're really enjoying having Maple in our lives.
She's being a bit picky over food, which I gather is normal in a new home but I had a few questions. First, she seems to refuse to eat the red dry food, but eats the rest. Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Also, she keeps letting really sneaky (and strong) smells out (silent killers!) ! Would this again be down to settling in and different food? She otherwise seems very happy. Should we be concerned?

Thanks in advance
I thought you were talking about my hubby!! :D