Old neutered cat acting like guard dog

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
jimdutchik
New Cat Chatter

Old neutered cat acting like guard dog

Post by jimdutchik »

My 16 year old tan, neutered, tabby cat, Mr. Bailey has developed a bad habit of attacking dogs that walk by our house when I am working in the front yard. He spends a lot of time "guarding" the house from the driveway. If I am not there, if someone walks their dog down the sidewalk he will follow them to make sure they are leaving. Lately though if I am with him he will run up to the dog and start a fight, leaving the dog with scratches on their face and nose and a very irate owner threatening to call animal control. The only solution I can see is to lock him in the house while I am working in the yard. Any other suggestions on how we could continue to garden together without endangering the local dog population would be appreciated. For a neutered cat he is pretty ballsy, I once caught him staring down a fox who was in heat and water to mate with him.
Thank you.
Bailey's dad
Red wine lady
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Old neutered cat acting like guard dog

Post by Red wine lady »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Loving the sound of him! My cat took on 2 Labradors in their own garden last week and I've had a complaint from the postman due to Oscar hissing at him when he left parcels in our utility room!! In Oscars little mind, he is the master of the universe and they WILL obey him. :shock:

I think your little man may have similar ideas x
Last edited by Red wine lady on Tue May 01, 2018 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Old neutered cat acting like guard dog

Post by Kay »

you could try keeping a loaded water pistol handy in case a quick squirt is needed

but I think the dog owners must bear the responsibilty of keeping their dogs safe - do they have to walk past your house? and there is no law, in the UK anyway, which states owners of cats must confine or control them

Mr Bailey is probably getting revenge for some nasty dog in a past life, and good on him, I say