Cat brain tumor how long?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
melshop
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Cat brain tumor how long?

Post by melshop »

I just wondered if anyone on here had experience of this.

I posted before about my 16 year old cat being diagnosed with a brain tumor about a month ago, and he has been put on steroids 5mg daily. I really had prepared myself for his death, and didn't think he had long left as he was in a poor state. He is doing far better than I imagined, although he is still blind in his left eye and can only eat on one side of his mouth, he is not hiding away, and is acting mostly normal, although he does have his moments.

Does anyone have any experience of this and how long generally cats last for on this medication? I didn't think to ask my vet at the time as I thought it would be days or maybe a couple of weeks. I got the impression they didn't think it would be long either.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Cat brain tumor how long?

Post by alanc »

My only experience of a brain tumor in cats is my old Misty and he was dead the day after diagnosis.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

Hi, I would probably imagine how soon it’s picked up as to how long left. I would have a word with your vet if unsure about anything. I am glad that your cat seems to be doing ok so far with the medication. Give him a cuddle from me.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

Such experience as I have had would indicate that it can vary wildly, depending on the type of tumour (especially how fast growing it is) and whereabouts it is in the brain. Steroids can help enormously for a while, but not for very long. I would make the most of every precious day, but be aware that you are on borrowed time - has your vet given a prognosis?
melshop
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by melshop »

We didn't find out the type of tumor, as we didn't get them to do an MRI, a very experienced vet examined him looked at his symptoms and diagnosed him after an x-ray found nothing (we thought his problems were caused by bad teeth) He is 16 and didn't want to put him through more general anaesthetics.

I suppose I am lucky he is doing as well as he is, I work from home so making the most of every minute I have left with him. I still cannot believe the difference in him though we really thought we had days left with him.
melshop
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by melshop »

Sadly I had to put my beloved Tabby to sleep today, he did incredibly well on the steroids until Saturday when he started to go downhill, we did it before he got too ill, and the vets agreed it was the right time. I am amazed he lasted as long as he did, and at least his last months he enjoyed the lovely sunny weather, sleeping out in our back garden absorbing the sun, his favourite thing to do.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

Hi melshop, I’m so sorry you had to say goodbye to your little lad (hugs) :cry:
God bless Tabby xx
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

I'm so sorry to hear this, but glad he got to spend time doing what he loved. RIP little one.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

So very sorry - but good that he ended his life in love and peace and sunshine, think we'd all want that for our cats and ourselves too x
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Mel sorry you’ve had to say bye to your lovely Tabby & know he was loved & cared for. RIP little un. Vivian
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

I am so sorry, but how lovely that you were able to give him those last, sun filled weeks lazing in the garden. It is a memory to bring comfort at a sad time.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

RIP Tabby. It is sad to lose them at any time. But it sounds like you gave him a happy, peaceful end and that's something to hang on to.