What is this?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
filardimarg-9
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

What is this?

Post by filardimarg-9 »

I have been grooming Bella this afternoon & on the fur that came out was lots of very tiny white bits, any ideas what it could be please? I was thinking maybe dry skin, if cat's get this.

Marg.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: What is this?

Post by Lilith »

Dandruff.

Nearly all cats get it, often around moulting time too, and Bella will have been in overdrive with her thick coat during this heatwave. I understand regular grooming is the best thing, which you do anyway, and I've noticed it soon clears up as the cat's system re-balances, if there are other remedies hope other people will be along soon, but hope this helps for now.

All the best :)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Yeh, dandruff! Freddie seems to have it quite bad. I don't know whether it is because he has long hair. :? His coat is lovely and glossy, but when I brush him it's snowflake city! :lol:
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

Yep one of mine was quite scurfy, he was a black, longhaired cat. I asked my vet at the time (it’s a good few years ago now), she said if you just give him a bit of oily fish each week, that should help.
filardimarg-9
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by filardimarg-9 »

Ok thanks for the replies, can I put salmon oil on her food, the last time I gave her salmon she wouldn't eat it, it might be the same with the salmon oil though.

Marg.
issiandarchie+68
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by issiandarchie+68 »

filardimarg-9 wrote:Ok thanks for the replies, can I put salmon oil on her food, the last time I gave her salmon she wouldn't eat it, it might be the same with the salmon oil though.

Marg.
Hiya, I wouldn't bother putting salmon oil in her food, especially if she is not keen. Rub a wee bit of good quality olive oil between your fingers and thumb, slick it over the comb and run lightly through her fur, catching the flakes. Not enough to make her fur feel greasy, just enough to sink in. Acts like a leave in conditioner, controls the worst of the dandruff, next day her fur will be soft and shiny. Also helps to control fur balls. I've used this trick on most of my cats during the years, especially dear Gandhi, usually worked. I told my Vet and he said he uses coconut oil in the same way, but frankly, I found it too thick and me and the cats hated the smell.

Issi
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

You can get fractionated coconut oil which is liquid at room temperature. I use it in homemade handcream and moisturisers. I have added a couple of drops of lavender essential oil to tablespoon of it and rubbed it into Bob's neck. He seems to be relatively tick free so far this year.

Purdy will lick coconut oil off the spoon (I hasten to add WITHOUT essential oils!) It is good stuff! :D
filardimarg-9
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by filardimarg-9 »

Thanks for the replies, I had to take Bella to the vets as I found a large lump on her tummy, but it was only a fur matt, (oh dear, how embarrassing ) so he groomed her for me, what a kind vet !!! He got so much fur out it was like another cat sitting there. I asked him about the dandruff, he said the same as all of you, put some oil in her food. The vet used a metal comb to groom her, I use a slicker brush, which seems as if it isn't doing the job well so I will buy this comb next time I am in town.

Marg.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

A tad embarrassing, but a huge relief, too, I would think! It is very easy when grooming longer hair to just smooth the surface and think the job is done - you need to get right down to the skin to be sure of removing all the tangles that can turn into mats. I have a poodle and a papillon, as well as the cats, and both are prone to matting if not brushed and combed regularly. Tilly cat has a short plush coat that couldn't mat if it tried, but she loves being groomed so much that she forces her way onto my lap whenever I have a comb in my hand - the dogs think she is weird!
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Gracie has had that problem. She is so fat she can't turn right around to groom her bum and the fur does tend to get matted there. She has a short coat but, for some reason and incredibly thick, fluffy under coat - and she HATES being groomed!the

Perhaps the fat and thick fur means she is a new breed of Arctic cat! :lol: