Bald spots

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Tashakawaii
New Cat Chatter

Bald spots

Post by Tashakawaii »

I found a bald spot on my 10 year old cat's front leg few weeks back but I just thought one of the other cats and pulled it out in a play fight. Today I've noticed her opposite leg has developed an almost identical patch. I read up online that it could be allergies, hormonal imbalances or fleas/mites. The latter is not possible as she's treated for those on a regular basis and she is strictly an indoor cat. She previously lived with my dad until January when we took her on so the change in litter could be causing it? I slowly introduced her from what my dad was feeding her to what we have now been feeding her so I don't think it's that. She doesn't seem distressed at all either.
I'll push my dad to help me take her to the vet as my girlfriend and I don't have much money.
I have pictures but it says they're too large.
Thank you in advance!
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Re: Bald spots

Post by Antonio »

Hi and welcome!
Could it be a fungus? Two feral cats that I feed in my courtyard had developed small bald patches on head and face. I took some photos of those patches and showed a vets them, and she prescribed a anti-mycotic cream.
I put this cream on the spots for about 10 days now, and I plan to continue till Sunday, but the spots have disappeared for the last three days or so.
Try this, take some photos and show them to your vet. It might help.
All the best!
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Hi and welcome and this is interesting as about 5 years ago my youngest cat started with the same thing.

Symmetrical patches on both forelegs, and when I studied her, she was plucking at the fur, which can be a sign of stress - she is rather a livewire/mixed up kid and I was under stress at the time, which she would have picked up on. At the time she'd have been about 2. But it could have been fungal? Luckily it never progressed to bald; it cleared up and has never recurred (paws crossed!)

Long before this, I saw bald sore patches on another cat's belly - the vet recommended bathing with Hibiscrub (available online or from Boots') and this was a good cheap remedy that worked very well. I don't know what caused these patches; they occurred just after we'd had a bad flood and at the time he was a visiting cat (later resident) who could have been roaming anywhere.

Good luck with her, oh and by the way, is she spayed? With female cats, skin problems can be hormonal and unspayed females with this problem can often improve after spaying.

Sorry about nattering on lol, all the best :)
Tashakawaii
New Cat Chatter

Post by Tashakawaii »

Lilith wrote:Hi and welcome and this is interesting as about 5 years ago my youngest cat started with the same thing.

Symmetrical patches on both forelegs, and when I studied her, she was plucking at the fur, which can be a sign of stress - she is rather a livewire/mixed up kid and I was under stress at the time, which she would have picked up on. At the time she'd have been about 2. But it could have been fungal? Luckily it never progressed to bald; it cleared up and has never recurred (paws crossed!)

Long before this, I saw bald sore patches on another cat's belly - the vet recommended bathing with Hibiscrub (available online or from Boots') and this was a good cheap remedy that worked very well. I don't know what caused these patches; they occurred just after we'd had a bad flood and at the time he was a visiting cat (later resident) who could have been roaming anywhere.

Good luck with her, oh and by the way, is she spayed? With female cats, skin problems can be hormonal and unspayed females with this problem can often improve after spaying.

Sorry about nattering on lol, all the best :)
Hi and thank you for the reply!
She is spayed, was done as soon as she was ready as a kitten. I'd say stress but she seems very relaxed all the time. It's a mystery but hopefully we will get her to the vets soon!
Tashakawaii
New Cat Chatter

Post by Tashakawaii »

Antonio wrote:Hi and welcome!
Could it be a fungus? Two feral cats that I feed in my courtyard had developed small bald patches on head and face. I took some photos of those patches and showed a vets them, and she prescribed a anti-mycotic cream.
I put this cream on the spots for about 10 days now, and I plan to continue till Sunday, but the spots have disappeared for the last three days or so.
Try this, take some photos and show them to your vet. It might help.
All the best!
It doesn't seem sore or anything so I'm not sure what it could be. I haven't caught her chewing at it. It's a mystery!
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by Antonio »

Tashakawaii wrote: It doesn't seem sore or anything so I'm not sure what it could be. I haven't caught her chewing at it. It's a mystery!
Areas affected by a fungus do seem sore or else, just bald, with no fur, neat borders and skin in the middle.
Do you have a photo of those bald spots?