Here's a how d'ya do!

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Here's a how d'ya do!

Post by bobbys girl »

We took the little boys in to be neutered this morning.OH has just phoned up to see how they went on. Billy is fine, (snip, snip, no more bolshy Bill :lol: ) but there was a problem with Freddie. His 'little buds' have not descended - it was hard to see with all the hair. That might explain why he is more cuddly and less adventurous (if he is not so advanced? :? ) We have been told to keep an eye on him and if they don't descend, then they'll have to go looking for them :shock:

Does anyone know how common this is? It's a new one on me! Just can't wait to get them home now.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Here's a how d'ya do!

Post by Ruth B »

I've heard of it happening a few times, but often only one remaining in hiding. A friend had a cat with the problem, at 5 months he was taken to be neutered and sent home to wait another month or two to see if it dropped. When he took him back in there was still no sigh of it so the vet had to cut in and find it. It wasn't a problem in the end but it did mean he had a couple of stitches there. Even with the surgery I think it is less invasive than having a female spayed.

Give them both a big fuss from me when they get home.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Ohh noooo! Hunt the courting tackle!

It IS rare - I've never known it in my lifetime of cats, and it's known as cryptorchidism (today's bit of tmi.) One of them missing is called monorchidism. I once heard of a cat whose missing ball had slipped down his trouser leg :o but as Ruth says, operating to find the missing bits isn't as likely to be as invasive as spaying.

When I was a kid my mother bought a West Highland terrier - and got sold a pup, because his equipment never did descend, I think I was the only one to notice when bathing him. Being a dog and a WHT I think it made him very aggressive ... not sure if cats are similarly affected though. Sounds not to be the case with Fred.

Poor Fred!

Do hope the vets get to the errrm bottom of his problem soon, congrats Bill on weathering the op and hope that Fred is soon sorted, poor chap, all the best :)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Well they are both home and Fred has been yelling for something to eat. I gave in and gave him some chicken that I'd saved for them. Billy is a little more groggy and is sleeping in front of the fire. I am just glad they are OK.

We'll must have to keep an eye on Fred. Thanks for getting back to me. All fusses will be passed along.

Funny thing - Bob came over to sniff Billy, then licked his ears and face - and Billy let him! :lol:
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Normally they check monthly, until they are around 9 months old before going looking- I've had two adult males with that issue, they had to have stitches and a collar, it depends how easy they are to find! If left, they have a high chance of becoming cancerous- and they still smell like an unneutered tom!
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

booktigger wrote:Normally they check monthly, until they are around 9 months old before going looking- I've had two adult males with that issue, and one kitten, they had to have stitches and a collar, it depends how easy they are to find! If left, they have a high chance of becoming cancerous- and they still smell like an unneutered tom!
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Bobby’s Girl if we take males to Little Paws’s vet for neutering the first thing the nurses do is check their equipment to see if both are there. We’ve had a couple who’ve had to come home if there’s one missing. Fusses to the little uns. We have a boy in the cattery atm - Benny - who was neutered the other day a little late & is a typical boy ... plays rough & Deb gave him a slap on the backside as he plays & bites .. “Stop that Benny you won’t find your furever home if you keep that up...” he’s a cutie. Vivian