I am having trouble.

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
filardimarg-9
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

I am having trouble.

Post by filardimarg-9 »

Two weeks ago, I took Bella to the vets because I thought she had a lump, well it wasn't a lump it was a matt of fur, the vet groomed her for me, now since then she won't let me groom her, I have tried many times, she see's the brush & runs.
Have any of you got any idea's as to how I can brush her without her getting upset, I can't keep taking her to the vet, it is £40 a go, she really needs grooming every day or at least alternate day with her long, thick fur.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: I am having trouble.

Post by alanc »

Is there an at home pet grooming service near you? They may be able to help and will be cheaper than the vet. After a few goes, Bella may come to tolerate being groomed a bit better.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

As it is summer, I would be tempted to have her shaved down, and then gradually desensitise her to brushing while her coat grows back in. She may look a bit odd for a while, but she will be a lot more comfortable! If brushing hurts, which it will if she has knots and tangles let alone mats, she will fight you every inch of the way.

The approach I have taken with dogs is to plan on several sessions a day - as many as 10 if you can manage it. Have some really good treats that she doesn't get at any other time, or a very special toy. At first reward her for staying in the room with the brush. Once she is comfortable with that treat her for approaching the brush. Then for a single touch with the brush, then for a single, gentle brush stroke. The aim through this time is not to get her groomed, but to change the way she feels about grooming from "EEEEK! RUN!!" to "Oh good, this means good stuff is going to happen". Going too fast will undo all the previous patient work, as will hurting her while brushing, which is why I would consider getting her shaved.

A session with a professional groomer who can show you how to hold her and groom her painlessly may also help.

It is not a problem I have faced with my cats, thank heavens - Tilly has a very short, plush coat which really doesn't need any care from me, but she loves being brushed and combed so much she pushes in when I am doing the dogs demanding her turn!
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

I've no experience with long haired cats, but aren't there grooming mitts which feel to the cat as if they are being stroked rather than de-haired?
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Kay wrote:I've no experience with long haired cats, but aren't there grooming mitts which feel to the cat as if they are being stroked rather than de-haired?
There are, but they aren't always good at getting through long fur.