diabetic - help !

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Greenapple
New Cat Chatter

diabetic - help !

Post by Greenapple »

My cat has recently been diagnosed with being diabetic - no symptoms, and very well otherwise- but I am going away soon and will not be able to give or start injections- my cat sitter has agreed to do it if I show her how and then an 80 year old friend will take over when she is shown how by the cat sitter - but this is not the best for the cat or anyone.. can I delay this until I return in 2 weeks? :cry: thanks for your help.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: diabetic - help !

Post by Lilith »

Hi and welcome, and I'm very sorry to hear about your cat.

I'm afraid I can't advise on diabetes, but hopefully there will be people along soon who can. Meanwhile, it could be a good idea to ring your vet - most vets and their nurses are happy to advise, and they'll have the added advantage of knowing all about the case and whether it's safe to postpone treatment.

I do hope you and your cat come to terms with this - it's always a shock when an illness like this is first diagnosed, and please let us know how you both go on. :)
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

Your best bet is to talk to your vet about it.

I had a cat, Katie, diagnosed as diabetic many years ago, at that time the timing for the injections and the food were very critical, we worked it out we could just manage it as long as my bus home from work was on time, if it wasn't we would be late giving her her food, it would mean that I risked coming home to a cat in a coma every night. We decided that we couldn't do it and after discussing it with the vets it was agreed that we would just keep her going as long as we could with out medication, it was estimated she would have 6 months left, Katie managed 9 months and then overnight she went from being a happy cat to not being interested in life and we took her to the vets and called it an end for her. I have never regretted not going down the insulin injection route for her.

My parents on the other hand, also had a diabetic cat. She was diagnosed suddenly as she suddenly collapsed, was rushed to the vets and wasn't expected to live through the night. They got the initial blood test result done quickly and so could start her on insulin straight away, by the morning she was back to being her normal self, and was on insulin injections twice a day at 12 hour intervals for the next 5 or 6 years, before it finally became uncontrollable when she was 16 years old. For those years my parents had to arrange their lives around the cat and her insulin injections, up to the point when a week before my Dad died he had to be admitted to hospital by ambulance, my husband and i happened to be visiting that day (we lived about 80 miles away) and my Mum suddenly stated that she couldn't go to the hospital with Dad because of Tufty's injection. We told her not to be silly, we could stay and go to the hospital as well and then run her home for the injection when the time came while I stayed with Dad. While it all worked out in the end and Dad was discharged and died at home it did bring home the responsibility of owning a cat that needs the injections every 12 hours or you risk getting home to a dead cat.

I would also suggest that unless your cat is insured for life time treatment of chronic illness you check how much it is going to cost,it isn't just the insulin, it's the needles, the tester and test strips, the sharps box and disposal, the regular vets visits and full blood tests, that you need to consider. Over the months it can mount up and you need to be prepared for it.

I'm not saying you shouldn't go down the insulin route, but it is a very big responsibility, not only for yourself but for anyone else that will be taking over when you aren't available to do it.

I will however add that Tufty seemed to understand that she felt better after an injection and sometimes came to find my Mother to remind her of the time if Mum had become distracted, she also would get up on the bed and lie down to have it so Mum could to it single handed with out any one to hold Tufty while she got everything ready. Taking the blood sample from the ears was a different matter and after my Dad died that rather went by the board.

Think very carefully about what you are letting yourself in for and discuss it with your vet, your cat sitter and any family and friends that might be involved. Hopefully if she is only in the early stages like Katie was on diagnosis, you have time until you come back from your holiday to consider things, but again your vet is the one to tell you more.

Also I don't want you to read this and think that I'm trying to dissuade you from the insulin path if that is the way you want to go, in the end we all want what is best for our cats I just don't want you to make a decision not knowing what you are letting yourself in for and regret it later on, it would only mean you might come to resent the cat and stress yourself and the cat out.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

A friend with a diabetic cat had a wonderfulsitter from the Cats Protection League who understood all about it and made sure the cat had injections on time whenever my friend had to be away. It might be worth asking locally - it made a big difference knowing that there was someone knowledgeable and reliable there to help.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

Hi and welcome. I would also talk to your vet, because only they know all about your cat and the medication she needs. It’s great that you have people to help you out too, maybe if your cat needs the insulin whilst you’re away your friend will go with you to the vets so they can show them how to give insulin as well whilst you’re away and give them the vets no in case they need any further advice whilst you’re away, that’s what I would do anyway.

I haven’t had a diabetic cat personally but know of quite a few people who have diabetic cats and they have managed fine. This link may also be helpful to you, there’s lots of information and reassuring advice:

https://www.catchat.org/index.php/diabetes

Do let us know how things go.
HarleyQuinn
New Cat Chatter

Post by HarleyQuinn »

I would get started right away. This is not really something you want to wait on. Regulating insulin with a diabetic cat is tough and going to take time to figure out the proper dosage. I don't want to worry you, as I hear many cats live with diabetes healthy for years to come and it is perfectly manageable! However, my cat got diagnosed and we could not get a dose to work right for her (the vet ended up giving too much insulin without changing diet first big mistake) since we shot up the insulin dose so quick, she went into hypoglycemia and unfortunately was unable to recover due to the damage. She had many episodes of seizures and it was really tramatic for me. She passed away last summer. I since have a new vet for my new kitty and would make sure If that ever happened again to be more knowledgable on my cats diabetes and make sure my vet is too I really regret that. Anyways, im sure you cat will be perfect, but make sure you are doing what needs to be done! It is very serious just as it is in humans. The insulin needs to be done correctly and regulated, it can be extremely challenging and hard, trust me I KNOW!! But thats my only advice. Lots of luck!!
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Walesgang »

I would get started straight away too.

From what I understand, inirially the key is getting levels correct which can involve regular blood tests.

However, your vet is the best person to advise.

Can you find someone else to help when you are away if need be?