Neighbours aggressive cat

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
lovemypets
New Cat Chatter

Neighbours aggressive cat

Post by lovemypets »

Help please !,Our 8 year old neutered boy has lived totally harmoniously since we adopted him from friends who were emigrating over a year ago.
He has been happy with his freedom , cat flap to come and go and was totally in a routine ,however we now have a very aggressive cat moved across the road from us ,he is terrorising our boy, and has been for some weeks , to the point our boy has relocated to a group of properties about a mile away, I go and collect him and he is always pleased to hear/see me ,bring him back and he goes into total fear mode when we get back home. I bring him in, feed him and he settles for about an hour and then is off.I have collected him every day and brought him back. We have a large garden in a rural location, as has the thug cat ,it has a field, but insists on this harassment ,sitting waiting to attack our boy at every opportunity just on the fence line of our property. I cannot bear that our boy is so frightened he doesn't want to be in his own home anymore, driven out by fear. Another cat is also being terrorised by this bolshy new one.
We are at our witts end.
Going to get some calming remedies but ,only so much before our boy wont come back.
Have spoken to the owners once who were not overly helpful.

Suggestions please :cry: :
Sniper1
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 18

Re: Neighbours aggressive cat

Post by Sniper1 »

Firstly I would bring him home and keep him in next I would install a microchip flap if you don't already have one I assume he doesn't feel safe indoors as he's choosing to relocate rather than be inside iif he feels safe inside he may work out a strategy for himself given a little more confidence
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by fjm »

I would have a brief, courteous word to warn the neighbours, and then buy a good water pistol. Keep your cat in, and spray the unwanted visitor every time it sets foot in your garden - he may eventually get the message. I suspect the visitor has been marking in your garden to get your cat this stressed, so he is probably there quite often. Ay night, and when you are not home to protect your cat, lock the cat flap so he can't get out, and try to keep him in a part of the house where he cannot see the invader through windows. Usually cats eventually find an accommodation and share territory, but it sounds unlikely in this case. Perhaps a protected run near the house would work? Although if the mere presence of the neighbouring cat is upsetting your own boy he would still be able to see and smell him, even if he was protected from attack.

It is hard, I know, when a cat's happy life of freedom is suddenly curtailed in this way. Pippin had a miserable tear when a young, bolshy Bengal moved in, and beat him up at every opportunity. Tilly simply set the dogs on the intruder, something I would not have believed if I had not seen her do it! I was not happy about it, as the Bengal was bigger than my tiny dogs and I strongly discourage them from chasing cats in any case, but I have to admit it was effective...
lovemypets
New Cat Chatter

Post by lovemypets »

We have tried bringing him home .....every night for more than 2 weeks, we lock the cat flap have a litter tray for him, but he gets so stressed not having his freedom. The other cat is tormenting him outdoors anyway, but he can no longer relax in his own very large rural garden. When we let him out he just wants to get away from his own garden. It is so sad .We have bought catnip toys, stress relief plug in, you name it we have tried it.Thanks for your suggestion
lovemypets
New Cat Chatter

Post by lovemypets »

Have spoken with owners, they offered to pay any vets fees if our boy was injured. I did tell them I would use a water pistol to try and deter it, in fact I have used the hose, but this cat takes off as soon as it hears /sees us it s no good. Re the run, I feel that if any feline is being restricted it should be there's not our previously happy boy. Thanks for input.