8+ week old kitten, with us for 2 days, started eating but is vomiting water

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Trickstarlaw
New Cat Chatter

8+ week old kitten, with us for 2 days, started eating but is vomiting water

Post by Trickstarlaw »

Hi, our bundle of joy has just moved in with us 2 days ago, she is almost 9 weeks old. Female moggie that hasn’t had her main injections just yet.

She has come from a family home with the rest of the little well, along with mum and dad.

Wasn’t bothered about food yesterday but did drink water and some kitten milk...then was sick in the evening...throwing up water that was a yellow colour.

Today has eaten twice, early this morning and around lunch time. Mainly tinned tuna and dry biscuits but has again been sick a couple of times this afternoon. Again, just looks to be water but yellow coloured.

She has been sleeping a lot which is to be expected but otherwise seems happy and playful.

Had used the litter tray a few times so things are certainly moving around.

Anything we can do to help her? A trip to the emergency vet seems extreme as she has been through a stressful period...or am I ignoring something more serious we need to get checked our super-urgently?

Thanks in advance!!
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: 8+ week old kitten, with us for 2 days, started eating but is vomiting water

Post by Lilith »

Hi and welcome :)

There can be a number of causes for this - the stress of moving home, change of diet, worms (commoner in young kittens than you'd think) and also the start of teething - all minor in themselves and easily resolved, but if her motions become very loose or she starts vomiting a lot or being off her food and listless, then I would seek emergency help as kittens are so tiny, they can become dehydrated, and that can be serious.

Tuna's a bit rich for a new young kitten (though I know they love it) - I'd feed her a good basic wet food and let her graze on the biscuits, of course. With an upset stomach it's best not to offer her milk, but water should always be available.

I'd also ring your vet (even out of hours; a decent vet will still advise you) for more expert advice, such as precisely when you'd need to ask for an emergency appointment - just to be on the safe side, but hopefully this is a worst case scenario; your little girl may well settle down and be back to normal in a day or two, but no harm in gathering all the info you can. Hopefully other people will be along with more advce but hope this helps for now.

All the very very best and please let us know how she goes on. :)
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: 8+ week old kitten, with us for 2 days, started eating but is vomiting water

Post by Kay »

are you feeding her the same food as she was eating at her previous home? if you don't know I would check back with the previous owners, as she is very young to be able to tolerate a change of diet
Trickstarlaw
New Cat Chatter

Post by Trickstarlaw »

Thanks a lot for your feedback!!

She’s had a long sleep and started to have another drink of water. We’ve added another bowl of water in a slightly different location which seems to have worked too.

The previous owner had the kittens on dry food but started the mix the brands /flavours in the last week or so to get the kittens used to a change in diet.

Little Jess had absolutely no interest in dry food. Tuna worked ok yesterday and this morning but not today. We’ve got some wet food now which she can smell and has grabbed her attention but hasn’t eaten any yet :(

She just had a run around the kitchen, now back to sleep.

Are we best leaving a selection of food on separate dishes for her?
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hi, yes, overnight, in a room where the flies won't be attracted, I would, but in this hot weather, in the daytime, with the danger of flies about - not wet food. Water and biscuits will be fine of course, but I'd try her with a small spoonful of wet every so often in the day but take it up if she's not interested. If covered with clingfilm in a cool place it will stay fresh for an hour or two; refrigerating will kill the smell. If in doubt, throw it out.

Whoever said keeping a cat was straightforward? :lol:

All the best :)
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

Yellow, watery vomit sounds like empty tummy bile - feeding her little and often should resolve it if it is. If all else fails I would try cooked chicken - Several thighs, skin removed from all but one, simmered in plain water till very tender - don't feed her the bones, of course, but meat, skin and gristly bits are all fine, and the chicken stock can be diluted to encourage her to drink. If she doesn't eat it you can make it into a sandwich for humans, but very few cats can resist chicken! Raw minced beef with an egg yolk in it or scrambled eggs are other possibilities using food you may already have in stock, although sticking with what she is used to is best, if she will eat it.

Remember her tummy is tiny - the size of a walnut - so she won't eat a lot at a time. Frequent meals - at least four, and possibly six a day - are best for small kittens. Even adults prefer to browse - I have resorted to freezing some of their food and putting it out frozen so they can eat it as it defrosts before now, or putting a freezer block under the bowl to keep it fresh but with a tiny kitten just let a dessertspoonful come up to room temperature and if she doesn't eat it in an hour or so throw it away.
Trickstarlaw
New Cat Chatter

Post by Trickstarlaw »

Thanks a lot for your help all!! Today has been a lot better which is a relief!!

It seems like she doesn’t like the food bowl we were using. We’ve moved over to a bowl we had successfully used as a water bowl and a new type of wet kitten food and its starting to get chomped down...she’s had about half a kitten sachet so far today over 3 separate meals and lots of water too which seems to be about right from what you are saying about small stomach?

Fingers crossed she keeps this up and continues not to vomit :)

We have another issue though...she’s taken an interest in clawing her way up the lounge curtains :o Little monster :)
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Great news :D

Sounds like Madam's settling in and feeling better! :D

Give her a fuss from me when she's still for a minute ... happy days :D
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi welcome & hope Jess is well & truely on the improve. At 9 weeks she should have had her 1st vacc so I’d get her to a vet real soon. Keep us posted. Oh yes they do love curtains. I had to replace my bedroom ones; great for climbing and hiding behind while they play with the curtain between them :lol: Vivian
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

I still have curtains with linings shredded by a kitten over 30 years ago - sentimental value now!

Good to hear she is settling in and getting the eating habit. In a few weeks I would try mixing things up a bit with different brands and flavours, and even a little suitable human food. Cats seem to like variety if they are introduced to it as kittens, but can get fixated on a single food if they are only ever fed that one - problematic if you run out when the shops are shut or the manufacturer changes the formulation!