Morris - Upper respiratory infection

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Bubbleicious5
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 10

Morris - Upper respiratory infection

Post by Bubbleicious5 »

Hi everyone.

My lovely cat Morris is about 14 - we are not sure as he was a stray. I inherited him when my Dad passed away in September 2012 - is rather poorly.

When I got home from work on Wednesday he was literally soaked in drool, his cheeks, chin, chest, and front paws. I took him to the vet on Thursday morning and she managed to get a look in his mouth - I had previously been to see her when he was having difficulty eating and she there and then removed a very loose canine. I was hoping it might be something as simple, sadly not. She said he has an upper respiratory infection and is very snotty and gave him an injection and gave me two weeks' worth of Synulox tablets for him. However she said if he gets worse or doesn't improve after a week we will have to make decisions about getting bloods from him. You see Morris doesn't like people. He's a one person cat and to get bloods from him would require him to be sedated as he goes ballistic, it was amazing for her to get an injection into him!

He's eating really well, if a little messily because of his drooling and acting normally in every other way. Just looks a bit of a state. This morning I thought he looked a little better, but following his morning pill (he's on one twice daily) he looked rubbish again, drooling a lot, soaked cheek again.

Does anyone have any experience of this and how long do they take to recover. He's certainly no worse and as I say, fussing me and eating as normal, jumping up etc.

Thanks.

Sam x
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Morris - Upper respiratory infection

Post by KittyWitty »

Wish I could help :cry: but I am sure someone will be along soon to help you!
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

It took a good week for one of mine to start to recover from his respiratory infection. Hope he's feelign better soon. xx
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

As Crewella says it can take a good week to get on top of URI's and sometimes longer so it might just be early days yet for lovely Morris.
Bubbleicious5
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Bubbleicious5 »

Hi

It's strange. Some days he seems much better, others not. I guess it's just going to take a while.

Xx
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

Did the vet check his mouth to see if the drooling was anything to do with his teeth?
Bubbleicious5
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Bubbleicious5 »

Yes she did and it's nothing to do with his teeth.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I remember Daz's recovery being very up and down - hopefully the good days will start to outnumber the not-so-good ones. xx
Bubbleicious5
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Bubbleicious5 »

So there's still a good chance he could fully recover?
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

Definitely, in my experience they can be difficult to get under control and may take several vet visits until you finally crack it.
Bubbleicious5
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Bubbleicious5 »

Hi

I'm gonna take him back to the vets tomorrow. I feel so bad as poor Morris desperately wants to eat but cannot because the drooling is so bad, he must be starving. Any suggestions of what I could give him? You can't handle him so suggestions of syringe feeding would be no good unfortunately - he goes all feral and is unscruffable.

X
Bubbleicious5
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Bubbleicious5 »

Morris has a tumour in his mouth that is pushing his tongue upwards thus causing the drooling and difficulty eating. The vet has given him an injection to try and shrink it a little to enable him to eat which she said could take three days and that if he still isn't eating then sadly that horrid decision has to be made. There is no cure.

This morning to me he seems worse, haven't fed him yet but his eyes just aren't as bright as yesterday. I said to the vet I didn't want him to suffer but she said it was worth trying to see if we could shrink it and at least give him a better quality of life. It's just torture seeing him desperately wanting to eat but unable to.

Part of me wonders if I should make the decision now but what if the injection does work by Thursday and he can eat again?

Thoughts please.

Xx
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 9

Post by Lyn from Australia »

Please know that my tears are mingling with yours on reading this thread. Poor old man :cry: You know Morris better than anyone - if you think some palliative care which means he can eat a little and is not in pain is something he can cope with, were I in your shoes I would go for it, in order to have as much time as possible with him to say goodbye. When my Ruby had stomach cancer I was hoping that her condition could be controlled for a while before the horrid decision had to be made, but unfortunately it wasn't possible in her case. Of course, the cat has to come first, but if no harm will come from prolonging his life for a few days, why not, if YOU can cope?
Please know that I am thinking of your and what you are going through, and of your lovely old boy.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Oh no, I'm so sorry. I lost my Alpha to cancer of the mouth, but we did have a couple of goes at shrinking it so she could enjoy her last summer before it became obvious that she wasn't happy and we had to let her go.

I did find she could eat pate type foods, and when she got bad I would add water and blend it so she could just lap it up. Might be worth a try?

I agree it's probably worth giving him three days to see if the injection works, but you're the one who knows him best. You'll do the right thing. (((hugs)))
Bubbleicious5
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Bubbleicious5 »

Thank you all. The pate food is what I have been giving him, he tries to eat but the tumour is obviously bothering him as he paws at his mouth when he tries to eat. I just tried it with water mixed in and he tried but because the tumour is pushing his tongue up it is proving difficult for him. He tried to paw it out and lick it off his paw. I can't begin to imagine how starving he is and I think it's just not fair on him so I think I'm going to call the vet today. I've taken the rest of this week off work as I was hoping to spend time with him but to prolong his misery is just not on. He has lost so much weight compared to how he was and I think he's becoming weak which of course you would as you're not getting any vitamins or protein.

Xx
Bubbleicious5
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Bubbleicious5 »

image.jpg
(212.72 KiB) Not downloaded yet
The handsome Morris in his prime. Sadly he's lost about half his body weight since this photo. God bless him.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

I'm so sorry to read this update, there have been a couple of furries with oral tumours on the forum recently and they seem to come on so quickly and have such a devastating effect. Will be thinking of you and Morris today, please give your handsome chap a gentle fuss from me and enjoy what time you have left with him x
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!

What a handsome man with a cheeky glint in his eyes. Always remember him this way. :)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I'm so sorry to hear this, but you know him best. It's an awful disease, and 'better a day too early than a day to late' was the very good advice I was given here when I was facing the same decision.

Thinking of you and your beautiful boy today. xx
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

So sorry to hear this latest update. I had experience of this last October with my Harvey. Oral cancer can come on so quick and is very aggressive. You will make the right decision for your handsome boy. Thinking of you and Morris today Xx
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Grace56 »

Oh, sweetheart....I am so sorry for you and poor Morris. He is such a handsome boy. I have a lump in my throat reading this thread.
You will do the right thing for your fur baby and please know, you are not alone whatever you decide.

((Hugs)) to you and gentle strokes for dear Morris. xx
Bubbleicious5
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Bubbleicious5 »

Hello all.

I'd like to thank you all for your comments and kind words and thoughts. It is with a heavy heart that I must tell you that yesterday 16 July Morris slipped away with the help of Karyn, a wonderful vet. I held his head close to mine as he passed away. I can only hope he's back with my darling Dad again who passed on 23 September 2012. We both loved him so much.

Today I had him individually cremated at Cambridge Pet Crematorium and I attended and stroked him and said goodbye and he is now home with me in a beautiful sleeping cat casket which I have placed in the window as he always enjoyed looking out to sea as I live on the coast.

I miss him so much but can only hope he is back with my Dad and big and well again.

God bless you Morrie Hardacre, you were, are and always will be a total legend. Love you always, miss you forever.

Xxxxxxx
image.jpg
(94.92 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

What a lovely tribute to a much-loved cat.

I'm so very sorry it came to this, but I'm sure you made the right decision for him, and he is now comfortable and at peace. He was lucky to find you and your family for his last few years.

Rest in peace lovely Morris. xx
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!

:( Night, night Morris.....
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

I am so sorry for the loss of your lovely cat ((hugs)).

God Bless Morris xx
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

So sorry. What a gorgeous picture of a much adored boy. You loved him enough to help him be at peace. He will always be in your heart. Thinking of you and sending hugs Xx
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

So very sad to hear the news. He was a lovely handsome boy. He is at peace now and will never know pain again.
You are in my thoughts tonight, God bless.
dottycat
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by dottycat »

So sorry to hear this.
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Grace56 »

Sleep well, little Morris. Such a handsome boy. My thoughts are with you and yours, Bubbleicious. ((Hugs)) xx
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

I'm really sorry to hear this, RIP little one