Young kitten nursing on arm

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Young kitten nursing on arm

Post by KittyWitty »

My 7 week old Whisky came home this weekend and this morning he started to knead me arm and lick it like he was trying to nurse.

Obviously I know this is because he was separate from mum too early which unfortunately was out of my control.

What I was wondering is if there was any way to deter this behaviour? Or is it something that I will just need to redirect to a cuddly toy or something?
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Re: Young kitten nursing on arm

Post by Jacks »

Ah - yes, I think opinion generally is that he's missing his mum. You are going to be substitute mum... ;)

Some people find their cat will be happy with a fleecy blanket jumper for kneading - Lara (who is over two years old now) has been kneading and suckling on me at night since she was about 8 months old; 4 months after I got her - she suddenly decided I was the one! The report was that she was found as a tiny kitten in a bucket! I took to wearing an assortment of fleecy jumpers at night for the purpose... otherwise the claws got a little painful! Over the last month, since she turned 2, she's become a lot more independent and will only come for nursing at night if I've been away, or early in the morning if she's hungry. For over a year she's waited as I've got ready for bed for me to lie down and extend the arm for suckling. I loved it, especially if she was suckling under my chin with all the tickly whiskers - she would cuddle up next to me to sleep afterwards. It's why I call her my 'baby' and she will always be my baby for that reason, as well as being extremely petite and cute of course...

I would say get a fleecy jumper and at least put your arm through, or a blanket and wrap it round your arm, and let Whisky suckle on that. Apparently the fleecy fabric smells a bit like mother's milk when wet?! Then you can try letting him suckle on it without you in it, if you prefer. I think given his very young age he needs this comfort and it will certainly do him no harm...
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by Jacks »

I might also mention that Lara is quite a sparky little thing and can do serious damage with her claws if she's scared or upset, or even if she looses patience - as OH and daughter can confirm - but I can even reach an arm in to where she's hiding if she's been corned by Mr Socks, and lift out a snarling, growling hissing bundle of angst, fold her into my arms, rocking and kissing her, and amazingly it soothes her. I know this is not standard advice for dealing with a scared cat (!!!) but I think the reason is that she's my 'baby' and when she does her 'milkies' as we call them she wants me to stroke her and caress her - so definitely a mother substitute here! :D I've also rescued her a fair number of times now - including from up trees, and she wraps her little paws round me for comfort and I can even stroke her little pads on her back feet until the claws go in... You can tell I love my baby Lara! ;)
Shelly and Dora
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Shelly and Dora »

Hi.

Dora's never suckled but she most definitely does a good amount of kneeding me and like Lara will curl up with me in bed normally with her whiskers under my chin. I give her gentle fusses and she makes contented little noises (she's never been one to purr - she has her own version!), then she starts to snore and that's how we sleep all night!

I think Whisky has very much decided you are mum and I think you should take great pride in his decision. What a lucky mum you are, and what a lucky BOY he is to have found you and Comet. It sounds like you a doing a great job.

I'd certainly try the fleece blanket idea and see how he takes to that x
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

My Lou Lou is 10 but she still displays a lot of 'in the nest' type behaviours when she's on the bed. In the morni g particularly my arm and hand are thoroughly cleaned ready for the day ahead!
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by KittyWitty »

Oh well :lol: we'll just try to redirect the behaviour and hope that he grows out of it!
Gillian
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Gillian »

My boys are 5 and 10, they all still knead. especially my tum when Im cuddled in a fleece.

get him a lovely soft fleece, wrap it around yourself to get your smell onto it, then give it to your kitten. He should love it.

Gillian
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by KittyWitty »

It's not the kneading that bothers me, it is the suckling sort of behaviour
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Walesgang »

My first cat I had after I left home used to suckle on one of my chunky knit jumpers that students used to wear in the late 80s. She did it as long as I can remember but only when she was tired. It became her comfort blanket after it got a bit too worse for wear (literally!)

Some friends have a cat that used to get into bed and wake them up suckling an ear lobe :mrgreen:

Hope little Whiskey settles in ok x
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

We had a siamese who sucked our old candlewick bedspreads all her life. She was taken from her mum quite young, but she never grew out of it and we never saw it as a problem. If it made her happy, we let her do it.
PeanutsFriend
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 8

Post by PeanutsFriend »

Cowboy did this when I brought him home. The dog was the most bothered, he didn't want to be this kittens' mother. reminded me of that book, Are You My Mother?
Cowboy grew out of it.
jill