Cat Flooding My House

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
CATFLOOD
New Cat Chatter

Cat Flooding My House

Post by CATFLOOD »

My cat will not stop flooding my house and I really don't know what to do. It has begun to cause water damage to my floor!

Her initial water bowl was too light, and she would push it around and splash the water everywhere. I thought maybe she just needed more activity - but she kept doing it. I thought maybe she would enjoy running water, so I got a cat fountain. She promptly dismantled it - and I do mean literally dismantled it. The pump was spinning around uselessly in the floor when I returned. SO I got a kind of auto-dispenser that didn't involve a pump or running water or anything - just because it would be heavy enough that she couldn't shove it around. SHE HAS FIGURED OUT THAT IF SHE PUTS HER PAW INTO IT SHE CAN MAKE IT ENDLESSLY POUR WATER INTO THE FLOOR!!!

Has anyone else ever had a cat this obsessed with spilling water? She doesn't even PLAY in water, she acts as if she hates it once it's in the floor! What do I do?
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Cat Flooding My House

Post by MarySkater »

In terms of behaviour, this is a new one on me. As a short term help, maybe you could put a heavy water bowl inside a big, shallow waterproof container - perhaps a kiddy paddling pool, or a plasic underbed storage box. That should at least contain the spill, and if she finds she's making a puddle where she's standing, maybe she'd go off the idea.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

We have had a couple that used to spill water, but no where near as bad as yours, one liked free flowing water from a fountain and would put his head under it so it ran down his face onto the floor, a tray under the fountain helped prevent that going everywhere. The other liked to play with her water bowl and would flip it over, a heavy ceramic bowl soon solved that problem, we can still hear her playing with it, the tinking of claws against the bowl, but it's too heavy for her to over turn.

So I would suggest trying a heavy bowl in a baking tray or similar, not deep but deep enough to contain the water if she does splash it out of the bowl.

If she is allowed out a garden water feature might help her. I've got a garden pond and cascade which is popular with all the neighbourhood cats (and even a few brave birds in the hot weather), some cats just seem to enjoy staring at it or playing on the cascade. At least outside i wouldn't hurt if she did get water everywhere.

I would also say, be careful with the fountains, the ones i've had are mains powered, fine for a well behaved cat, but if she is dismantling them like that, you don't want the water coming in contact with the power supply.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

one of mine used to flick water everywhere with his paw, but I found a raised bowl, about 10cm off the ground, stopped him, as he couldn't get his paw into it - for dribbles I used to stand it on one of those mats designed to go under houseplants