Rehomed stray cat - voracious appetite

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
lizgo
New Cat Chatter

Rehomed stray cat - voracious appetite

Post by lizgo »

I have rehomed the most super beautiful loving cat. I came across him at a very busy McDonalds, people were feeding him. I asked the woman in McD's if she seen him before but she hadn't. To cut an extremely long story short, I managed to trace the owner who was an absolute horror and basically said if I wanted him I could have him. Fast forward 4 weeks later he has settled in amazingly well he even sleeps beside my wee Cavalier King Charles. I have not once heard him hiss, spit or seen his claws. I took him to the vet who said not only is he the most relaxed cat he's ever seen but he was overweight. He got wormed, jabs etc. All swimmingly well, but he is always looking for food. I have had 3 cats over the past 30 years all have lived into their 20's. they did not eat like him. He has started to just lick the gravy or juice off the sachets of food. I have tried lots of different kinds, whiskas, felix, Iams. He eats them for a few days then turns his nose up at them. I have always got a bowl of dried food for him. He will take chicken gammon etc. During the night last night he was up vomiting and diarrhea, I'm sure its because I am offering him different stuff every day I am just looking for something healthy that will fill his appetite and not give him chicken nuggets which btw he loves. He is quite a small cat but weighs in at 5.2kg. :? :? :? I'm beginning to think he is just being fussy.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Rehomed stray cat - voracious appetite

Post by Ruth B »

Personally I wouldn't worry too much, settle on one type that he seems to prefer, have a variety of flavours and let him decide whether to eat it or not for a bit. He has obviously done fairly well for himself while he has been straying if his weight is on the high side, but some strays seem to get into the habit of searching for food even when they are getting enough as they never know when the supply will run dry, from what you say about the previous owner, he might always have had the problem of not getting regular, good quality meals. Also if he has been hanging around the like of McDs he will likely have been tucking into a lot of empty calories, so he is used to eating and still being hungry so it becomes a habit to look for food rather than a need.

My suggestion would be to settle on a food he seems to prefer most often and set regular meal times. Feed him a portion and then leave him to it until the next set meal time, if he hasn't eaten it, offer him a different flavour of the the same variety and see how he does. If he constantly just licks the jelly or gravy off you might find he does better on something like one of the pates. If he really gets hungry he has dried food available he could eat. I have a feeling he is just playing you up hoping you will cave in and give him something like the chicken nuggets he has got used to, which as you know aren't really good for him.

Depending on his activity level and age, if he does seem to enjoy the dried food, you might find something like a food ball would help him. They are plastic ball that you can put dried food in, and then there are small holes where pieces fall out as the cat knocks it around. They can help cats that are constantly hungry and overweight as they do provide the food, but only in response to the cat getting some exercise.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Lol seen this before ... my Finn, a feral ginger tom who moved in with me and was 'retired' - such a sweet guy; the local kids (he loved everybody despite having been a wildie) called him Garfield because of his pot belly. He was a compulsive eater - and puker. My front room carpet was like a Roman vomitorium. If he saw it, he ate it, in case he didn't get another chance; I suspect this is a common syndrome with ferals. And he was wormed, so it wasn't that.

Good advice from Ruth and with any luck it will slow down with time; good on you for taking him in :)
issiandarchie+68
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by issiandarchie+68 »

I agree entirely with everything Ruth and Lilith have suggested. Back in 2014, we had a cat dumped on the allotments. She adored human company, a lost soul. Anyway, boy could she eat, 4 pouches down the hatch without lifting her head. I named her 'Chunky', and to say my cabbages were well fertilised is an understatement. She was/is a lovely gentle soul. Anyway, it's long story which I won't go into, but I couldn't take her home, had three cats at the time, and eventually she was found a wonderful home by Cat's Protection. Her appetite and pooping continued to be gargantuan, but after a few weeks of regular feeding, she seemed to realise she wasn't going to go hungry again. Her appetite settled down, her weight balanced and, when last seen she was a very healthy, contented cat. Give it time, he is a lucky little chap to have you as his new slave.

Issi

p.s. had to edit original reply. Blame Gandhi and his keyboard draping ;)