Introducing a cat to a pup

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Introducing a cat to a pup

Post by emmab »

We have two cats and one we knew may be an issue with a dog. One will be fine and just will take time. The second, our female is more highly strung. She is spending her time upstairs and comes down but goes out via the bedroom window and will not come in the lounge and use the cat flap. How can I integrate her please? I tried carrying her in the room with the pup but she bushed up and was not a happy bunny. I don't want to scare her but when winter arrives we will not be able to leave the window open. We have two baby gates up so she can see the pup and vice versa, so no danger of them conflicting and pup is on a lead in the garden. The car does see the pup outside but does keep her distance. TIA
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Introducing a cat to a pup

Post by Janey »

Hiya, unfortunately I’m not really sure what you can do as I’ve never had dogs and cats together, hopefully someone will be able to advise soon. How does the dog react when he sees the cat? As you know cats are very territorial so your little girl most likely feels that her space has been invaded. I know that some cats and dogs can live happily together, but I am a bit curious though as to why you got a dog when you knew she wouldn’t get on with it, and your other posts say your cats don’t get on together much either, which is extra stress on your cat. Was someone asking you to take the dog on? I do feel sorry for your cat having to keep out the way so I hope you manage to sort it soon. Best of luck.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

It sounds as if you are doing everything right - keeping the puppy from teasing the cats, making sure the cats have safe places and escape routes, and giving them time. One thing that might be worth trying is crate training the pup (a useful skill in itself), and letting the cats explore the room while the puppy is safely confined, asleep or with a good chew to occupy him. The aim is to make the crate a safe, happy place, so it is worth introducing it carefully - good ideas here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUzF0g0PwY4 and in the other kikopup videos.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

Hi Fjm. thank you. Yes it will take time. holly is being crate trained and one fo our cats from time to time ventures into the room but Holly has chased him once in the garden. It is all about careful discipline and more importantly time.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

Hi again, I managed to find some advice here that may help:

https://www.bluecross.org.uk/pet-advice ... s-and-cats