Vibes for little Fred

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Vibes for little Fred

Post by bobbys girl »

Young Freddie was very quiet this morning and although he does like to 'sleep in', he was in Gracie's basket, not like him. I noticed a little scratch on his face and when I lifted him up to check closer he meowed in pain. He cannot put his right, back foot down and the leg is swollen.

He is at the vets at the moment. She is going to xray him sometime this afternoon and lets us know what she finds. My poor little Freddie fuzzball. :( all positive vibes please that it's nothing serious!
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Vibes for little Fred

Post by Lilith »

Aww, wasn't it him who was in the wars last time? Silly boy! I once had a kitten who climbed a 8' bookcase and managed to fall in a shower of books and got herself a fat leg - they're terrible! :o

All positive vibes ongoing across the Atlantic and all paws and tails crossed for Freddie! :)
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Fingers crossed
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Lilith wrote:Aww, wasn't it him who was in the wars last time? Silly boy! I once had a kitten who climbed a 8' bookcase and managed to fall in a shower of books and got herself a fat leg - they're terrible! :o

All positive vibes ongoing across the Atlantic and all paws and tails crossed for Freddie! :)
Thanks for that Lilith. But it's the Irish Sea, not the Atlantic! I have enough trouble with companies telling me they don't deliver 'offshore'! It's Northern Ireland NOT an oil rig. Turn left at Liverpool, you can't miss it! :lol:

Still not heard anything. But the vet said it would be later in the afternoon. Billy is not missing him at the moment. He's been fast asleep on the sofa since we got back!
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

Sending positive vibes and Tilly sends purrs for Freddie. Tilly knows only to well what it is like to damage your leg.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Thank you Alan.

Update - My poor little mite has broken his femur. The vet told me 2 options - 1. amputation or 2. operation to fix the leg and 6 weeks+ recovery and rehab, cage rest. Operation and cage rest it is.

It's Bank Holiday over here so they won't operate until Tuesday! :shock: :x But she has splinted his leg and he is on painkillers. My poor little cuddle bunny. :( He is such a sweet, harmless little cat. I am really going to miss him and I know he will miss Billy and his family. The vet who saw him this morning is on call all weekend, so I know she will keep an eye on him.

It is going to cost upwards of €750.00 - just the amount I had saved for my new shed. :roll:

Yesterday he was on top of the fruit cage while I was working in it. It is something he has done a few times. He always struggles to get down. I wonder if he fell? My poor, silly boy. I just want to cuddle him.

Please pray and send good vibes that it is a clean break and that there is no damage to tendons or blood vessels.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

Poor little lad, fingers crossed that it all goes well and in a couple of months he'll be up and about, back to his normal self.

All the best vibes i can being sent through the aether for him.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

OMG!

Poor little lad! There's me thinking it was just like naughty Annie and her fat leg (which soon recovered.) Who'd have thought it could be something as bad as this? The chief cause of fractured femur is usually a rta.

All very best vibes to the boy and Goddess Protect and all hopes for as speedy recovery as possible.

Sorry about my geography by the way - I OUGHT to have known that after various forbears travelling across on the cattleboat lol :oops:

Again good luck Freddie! x
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

Poor Freddie. I was given the same options when Tilly fractured her tarsal bone. Tilly's operation was a complete success and she put up with the cage rest (with a good deal of help from Badger, who slept on top of her cage most of the time).
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Poor thing - one of my friends had a similar situation, also on a bank holiday weekend, but hers was a 4 figure sum. She coped really well with the cage rest too, and was a fairly young cat. You wouldn't think he'd be able to do something so major in the house!
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

I've just remembered - I had a cat with a fractured femur, and the vet showed me her Xray. That thigh wasn't so much fractured as fragmented - the bits of bone were threaded like beads on the metal pin (do they still pin them?)

We had to keep her confined of course, but she recovered perfectly, even though one day I spotted something glittering in her fluffy tortie fur - the pin had worked out by itself. 'Oh well,' said the vet, drawing it out as she lay calmly on the table, 'saves having to anaesthetise her again!'

She never looked back.

This happened over 50 years ago, and of course treatment's much advanced since then.

Again good luck Freddie! x
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Sue poor darling Freddie ... I think Gentley Bentley knows I’m upset on this news he keeps coming up to me on the lounge & looking at me .. usually it’s Mr TC who’s in tune with my feelings. Me & the Famous Five from Oz are sending +ve vibes from the Australian & European Continents, across the Indian Ocean, English Channel & the Irish Sea ... hopefully Freddie has the “luck of the Irish.” Prayers being said. If you hear anything from the vet keep us posted. Vivian
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Thank folks (I was going to say 'guys' but I don't want to 'offend' the SNOWFLAKES out there! :lol: :lol: ) Your kind thoughts and comments help a great deal. Missing the little man this morning, no little chirrup of hello and no one to occupy naughty Billy. He's on the bed, winding-up Bob. :roll: OH wants to go and see him. But the practice is closed for the Bank Holiday and it all depends if the on-call vet is out on a call - it's a country practice. I hate to think of him there on his own. :(
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Lol - I had to go and google that, never heard of snowflakes before :lol:

I always say 'guys' :lol:

Thinking about little Freddie ... I must say it's incredible how they accept a situation, especially when they're feeling poorly. When Mouse had to have her radio-iodine I agonised as she's an incredibly reclusive cat, but she settled from the word go. I suspect it's worse for you, waiting till Tuesday. Everything crossed here for the lad x
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

Poor little Fred, and poor you! I am just he same when one of my animals is admitted - on pins till they are safely home, no matter how much my head tells me they are in the absolutely best and safest place. Crate rest is manageable - the main thing is not to be "kind" and let the cat out for a run round (does happen!). When Sophy, my papillon, was on crate rest I had one by my chair in the sitting room and a small canvas crate on the bed, so she could still sleep up there with me without risk. Might be worth trying? It is easier in some ways with a dog, of course - they are used to being on a harness and lead - but there again you have to carry them out to toilet every few hours.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Thanks for that Lilith. x

fjm - we have a cage we bought when we were introducing the kittens. So he will be used to it. Problem is it's a big cage in a small house. The only places it fits are under the kitchen table and in the lounge. Still as long as he is home safe we'll sort something out.

It's going to be a long few days!
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Freddie update. We called this morning and Freddie is down for the Op tomorrow morning. He is 'in good form', has been eating OK and the vet who first saw him has found him a box to hide in. :lol: She is smitten with him, hard not to be really, he is such a sweetie.

Everything crossed for tomorrow. Billy is just starting to miss his brother and has been really clingy this afternoon. He wants to be with his mummy.
Judy Barnett
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Judy Barnett »

Hope he goes on alright Sue, I'll call you later :)
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

Best wishes to Freddie for his op today.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Yes, good luck Fred, and hope everything goes well x
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

Hope all goes well, and he is soon safely and convalescing.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

Thinking of the little lad and hoping all goes well today and that he is home, but not quite his normal bouncy self, soon.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

We called into the vets on the way out this morning and spoke to the vet who will do the op. We saw the X-ray, he has broken the head off his right femur. There was still a lot of swelling and he wouldn't operate until it has gone down. He is hoping to put two pins in the leg, but it all depends on how secure the head of the femur is. If it cracks or crumbles poor Freddie will lose the leg.

We are going to call again at Five.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Poor thing, hope you have a better update
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

The latest news - the leg was still too swollen today, But the vet, Luis, hopes to operate tomorrow morning. Everything crossed for then.

I don't know why, but I feel worn out. God knows how Freddie is feeling. I keep sending him loving vibes and talking to him - long distance.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Hope it comes down enough to operate tomorrow
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

There is nothing worse than having to wait for an operation on your baby. Hope it can go ahead tomorrow.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Sue really feel for you with this waiting but on the +ve the vet’s being very careful. As you can see from posts from Alan, Lilith & Desley amongst others we’re sending you & Freddie +ve vibes. Fusses to all. Vivian
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

They sound as if they're taking great care - but not surprised you're worn out! Freddie will be sleepy with painkillers and not taking much notice I imagine - cats don't watch the clock and calendar like we do.

EVERYTHING here, tails, toes, paws, fingers crossed for tomorrow and a successful outcome! Goddess Protect xxx
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Luis just called, the swelling has gone down, they will operate this morning! He has, once again warned they may not be able to save Freddie's leg. EVERYTHING crossed. Right now I just want my boy back home safe and sound.