SAIMESE LITTER BOX HELP

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
licknord
New Cat Chatter

SAIMESE LITTER BOX HELP

Post by licknord »

Hello all! my one year old siamese will NOT use the litter, she will only use an empty litter box, i have a few out of the house but as soon as she uses one she wont use it until i clean it again. i work all day so ive been coming home to suprises everwhere :oops: ive looked everywhere online for help but havent heard of this issue before? i will be moving into a roommate situation in a few months and hope to have this solved by then! hellllppp!!!
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: SAIMESE LITTER BOX HELP

Post by Ruth B »

Have you tried different types of litter and different sizes and styles of litter trays. When I inherited my Mum's old cat I was warned that she wouldn't use a litter tray and would insist on going out to the garden in all weathers. As I had to keep her in for a few weeks I was prepared to go out and buy bags of compost or topsoil for her, but when I let her out of the carrier near a tray filled with the type of litter all of mine use she went straight to it and began digging like mad. My mother had insisted on using the wood pellet litter, I use a fine grained clumping clay based one. Stroppy just wanted a litter she could dig into.

As mentioned there, if yours will use the garden then compost or topsoil might help.

As a final resort you can get self cleaning litter trays, but they are Very expensive, but if you can get her to use one even if it is only for a single time, then one that cleans itself might be an answer. Some cats are notorious about their litter tray being clean and refuse to use it until it has been cleaned after it has been used once.

Cats being fussy about litter trays isn't an uncommon problem, but normally there is a reason for it as most cats are clean by nature, you just need to find out why she won't use one.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: SAIMESE LITTER BOX HELP

Post by Lilith »

I agree with Ruth - litter can be a big factor, but do you think your girl might use puppy pads? In the trays or in favourite spots?

Good luck with her - it's a hellish problem - all the very best :)

ps edit - if they don't get used, the leftover ones would come in handy as disposable feeding mats, cat carrier liners, lots of things ... I have a python who sleeps on unscented ones ... :)