Resident Cat chasing New Cat Issues

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
manja
New Cat Chatter

Resident Cat chasing New Cat Issues

Post by manja »

Hi

Long story but I adopted my Resident Cat (RC) 8 months ago and then got a rescue 4 months ago. After period of separation and gradual introduction, on RCfirst meeting chased my NC and jumped on her back leaving claw in her - this was a few months ago now. I have separated them since and got an animal behaviourist in. Basically after many months, they now exist either side of a stair gate and often lie quietly with each other. At times seem to play by batting paws and NC seems to know when RC is playing or aggressive by jumping out of the way if too aggressive. I have allowed them to site swap and they now eat with the gate fully open and are very content. At times the RC will sit and groom herself and watch the NC but no chasing. Recently the NC has tried to come out during the feeding. However if RC sees the NC anywhere else in the house she just wants to chase her. Is this normal - do they have to establish hierarchy and sort it out. There is no growling, hissing or anything. Ears are forward. NC is very scared of the RC though if she thinks she can get her. They have both been seen by the vet and are healthy. My RC is a shy cat normally and the NC is a little nervous too. Desperate to get them to accept living with each other but need some support as never had 2 cats before...

Thanks for any advice as the behaviourist has disappeared on me...
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Resident Cat chasing New Cat Issues

Post by Lilith »

Hi and welcome :)

Sorry for the late reply - we all go a bit feral in the summer I think.

Sounds s if things are going very slowly, but well. Having dealt with new cats joining the household at times, I can only say there are no hard and fast rules - they're all different - but the remedy is time and vigilance, which you're giving. There have been great strides forwards, but also you're having to make sure that RC doesn't throw her weight about ... it can take a long time. I know what you mean; recently I had three cats, two elderly, one 7 years old - my eldest left us recently but if the youngest chased her would avoid or clout her. Middle cat (now eldest) has always been timid and youngest knows it. If I catch youngest menacing her, I have to put the fear of god into youngest - low hissy voice (she knows 'no!) and standing up for the other cat.

But, like yours, they can co-exist peacefully in the same house; they'll never cuddle together but the bullying is minimal. Sometimes this is all you can hope for.

There's a behaviourist on this site who you can contact free via email - behaviour@catchat (ohh damn sorry can't get this link to work - does someone else know how to post it?)

I'm afraid I'm no expert but hope this has helped for now and hope that other people will be along with more advice. I think you ARE doing all the right things and hope that NC begins to lose her nervousness with time - don't you just wish they'd turn round and belt the bully eh?

All the best and please keep us posted :)
Alice
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Alice »

This is what you wanted, Lil :roll: ....
[email protected]
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Ah thanks Alice! :D
manja
New Cat Chatter

Post by manja »

Thanks probably didn't make clear that cats are still separated at all times but am wondering if I should bite bullet and start to let them meet and see what happens as I believe they probably need to work out their relationship/hierarchy.. I have been wimping out of opening that gate...
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

After 4 months, yes, I would. There's a weekend/bank holiday coming up.

Don't worry if there are hisses or growls, that is just often ongoing commentary, or even a bit of running about/following. They may even stay in their separate domains and ignore each other.

Good luck and let us know how you go on :)
manja
New Cat Chatter

Post by manja »

Thanks - there will definitely be chasing as that is all the RC wants to do to her...
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Paws crossed she chases her back ... hoping all turns out well, good luck :)
manja
New Cat Chatter

Post by manja »

My behaviourist has just come back to me saying " ideally the cats should not be together in this way other than when they are feeding? They should not be able to 'bat' each other through the bars. The idea is that they are only in each other's presence at meal times as the behaviour they display at this time is completely positive. Will it be possible to do this?". I feel after 4 months this would be very unfair to the cat isolated in the spare room as she is desperate to come out and likes to see what is going on... have to say and please help me that I think she is wrong...
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Umm, I'm no expert but I agree 100% with your gut instinct.

I'd open that gate :)
Harv Setterfield
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Harv Setterfield »

From my experience she's wrong. They need to sort out who's wearing the proverbial trousers. My Georgie and Rufus, before I lost Rufus to a heart attack, we're having the odd fight here and there but I was always there to step in before any real damage was done. 6 months later they started to eat together and play together by chasing each other around the flat. The odd little hiss here and there but no actual fighting.