Help my cat relax and not miss me whilst on holiday

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
gillybean129
Frequent Cat Chatter

Help my cat relax and not miss me whilst on holiday

Post by gillybean129 »

I hate leaving my cat.
I went away for 4 days and he was sick 2 of these, eating OK but possibly due to a furball that emerged later.
We are away for a week very soon, he'll stay at home cared for by my 22yo daughter though he'll be alone in the house during the day.
He's very nervous and stressy, hates men and is only happy around me. It makes me not want to go on holiday.
He has a Feliway I have heard about Zykelne but don't want to try this so soon to going away, it spoils my holiday me worrying about him, he sleeps on my feel every night and I know he'll miss me.
Any ideas please other than not going away?!
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Help my cat relax and not miss me whilst on holiday

Post by Ruth B »

He will miss you but he will be fine, from experience you will probably be more upset about the separation than he will be. You know your daughter will be looking after him and will no doubt give you daily updates if you want them.

A couple of ideas that might help him relax a little more while you are away. If he likes cat nip then some good quality catnip toys might help. I have some from a company called Yeowww which seem to contain far more catnip than most others I have had and even after months of use and being drooled over are still effective. Some cats aren't bothered by catnip, others go mad for it and it does have a calming effect on them. The other option sounds a little more gross, but if you have T shirts, jumpers or similar items of clothing that you have worn and not washed (but aren't too dirty), leave them around for him to sleep on, your scent will still be strong on them and they will help convince him you are still around.

He will be at home in a place he knows and feels safe in and i assume he already knows your daughter so while you might not be there there is a lot of familiarity to help him feel secure. We all deserve a holiday, try and enjoy yours knowing that he is being well looked after.